Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

brakes leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Beginner
Default brakes leaking

whats up guys, a couple days ago i was driving down the road and my passenger decided to fight me while i was driving. I slammed on the brakes doin about 45 and after the abs kicked in the pedal went to the floor and i rolled to a stop. After the fight was over i went to drive away not thinking about what the brakes did and the pedal went to the floor. i go out and looked underneath and there was brake fluid leaking out of the center of the truck under the engine not by the calipers. It was dripping pretty heavy right where the plastic front skid plate would be. My question is what line if it is a line do you think broke? i couldnt see specifically where it was leaking from after i limped it home. Theres still some fluid in the resevoir but i pumped the breaks and couldnt make it leak. Any ideas? its a 96 k1500 5.0 liter. And yes i did win the fight.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:00 PM

master cylinder leaking? follow lines from it down under truck an look for split or pin hole be next guess

Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Administrator

That is the steel line going to your right front wheel.
It leaves your master and goes down your frame to the engine crossmember. It follows the back side of the engine crossmember back up to the right front caliper flex line.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Beginner

i think your right in2trux. i checked out what u said and theres no visible holes or splits but it could be a pinhole. im ganna take it off and look further but there was fluid covering the line right were i seen it was leaking from. Ive never done brake lines before so when i go to buy the line is there name for it that i could ask for? also its connects with a a male and female type deal just above the driver wheel well. should i take it off at the connection or am i taking the whole line from the master cylinder to the flex line? thanks for your help.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:56 PM
TruckForum Addict

i had a simalerproblem on a 94 silverado
the problem was that the master cylynder was leakin where the power booster and master cylinder meet to connect its 2 9/16 bolts i belive maybe 1/2 inch i ended up replaceing both the master cylynder and power booster
there arent very expensive also
like the others have said check for a leak in the line if you have somebody to help start the truck and have them pump the brakes acouple times while inspecting.
let us know what it was