Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Ready lift 4 inch, or go 6 inch? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/ready-lift-4-inch-go-6-inch-19444/)

Dusty's-Sierra 02-17-2013 10:05 AM

Ready lift 4 inch, or go 6 inch?

I have an 07 Sierra 1500, I am thinking about getting the ready lift 4 inch lift with 33' Nitto's. But I am worried that it is just going to make my 1500 look like a 2500. I dont want to spend the money on a lift and not have it noticeable. But I dont want to mess with my factory ride by putting aftermarket shocks on it. What do you guys think? Have any picture of the 4 inch for me? Thanks a lot fellas!!

RustyFordLover 02-17-2013 04:58 PM

If you want a smooth ride, don't mess with lifts. I have no use for a lift if it's gonna stay on the highway. Thats like trying to lift a Honda Civic in my opinion. If you are going to actually use the truck as a truck, and go off road in places where you will need a lift (I have a factory Sierra, and it will go anywhere my buddys will and he has a 6" lift.), then you won't really be worried about the ride. Plus, if you stretch out your factory shocks, the ride sn't gonna be as smoth anyway. If you want a factory ride, keep it all stock,

In2Trux 02-17-2013 06:05 PM

A 4" suspension lift is pretty aggressive. It also may lead to untimely wear and tear on some drive line and suspension parts.

You can still fit a set of 33s under your truck with a mild 2" susp. lift.

I would suggest... hold off for a while on your lift. Keep a look out for a local truck with a lift. Ask the owner, how big is his lift and if he is happy with it?

Diesel Dan 02-18-2013 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dusty's-Sierra (Post 79511)
I dont want to spend the money on a lift and not have it noticeable. But I dont want to mess with my factory ride by putting aftermarket shocks on it.

If you want it noticeable then by all means get the 6" kit.
Advantage of an IFS lift is it retains a ride very similar to stock, especially if you use the stock torsion bars. Aftermarket shocks can actually make it ride better, if you get quality shocks. I ran remote reservoir Bilstiens 7100s on a Dodge Ram 2500 and the ride was great.

Now I'm gonna stir the pot a little.:eek:

Originally Posted by RustyFordLover (Post 79512)
(I have a factory Sierra, and it will go anywhere my buddys will and he has a 6" lift.)

Horse hockey pucks!
Maybe if you have swamper TSLs and he's running M/T quiet giants.
I've run stuff from 1 ton suburbans on 44s to CJ5s on 33s and that stock off-roading argument holds no water for me. Driver attitude can only take you so far.

Originally Posted by In2Trux (Post 79526)
A 4" suspension lift is pretty aggressive. It also may lead to untimely wear and tear on some drive line and suspension parts.

4" suspension lift by itself is not aggressive.You might have to modify the exhaust crossover pipe to clear the front drive shaft but a 4" lift does not cause the drive shafts on a F/S truck to run at extreme angles. A good aftermarket IFS lift keeps the stock C/V angles and the front diff stays stationary so it takes a lot of strain off the front drive shaft.

Pot thoroughly stirred:D

In2Trux 02-18-2013 09:35 AM

Well there ya go Dusty.. You got two very different opinions. Let us know which way you go

Diesel Dan 02-18-2013 09:54 AM

When doing as low as 6" spring lifts on SFA GM trucks certain front driveshaft CV joints(double cardan) joints have binding issues. This requires clearancing of the limiting pads so you can exceed the factory specs. Then you need to drop the transfercase and inch, install axle shims and go near zero on caster to get the pinion angle up. Then there is the drop pitman arm, raised steering arm or switch to a crossover steering system.

Nearly Insane 02-18-2013 10:05 PM

In my own opinion, since you are going with 33 inch tires, then i would go with a 4 inch lift, if you go to much bigger then it will make the tires look to small for the truck. Having small looking tires on a truck will just make it look awkward.