Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Reconditioned Truck Purchase (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/reconditioned-truck-purchase-2622/)

txsilvertoy 02-18-2007 05:10 PM

Reconditioned Truck Purchase

Hello All,

I'm thinking of buying a lifted 2003 Silverado. Has anyone ever bought a vehicle with a reconditioned title? I was told the truck was totalled by insurance but the guy who rebuilt the truck is the best around my area. It has 40k miles, an extended cab, 6 in Fabtech susp. lift, 3 in body lift, custom paint, 37 in. Nittotires and 18 in. Motto Metal wheels. Asking price is $19,000. Sounds like a good deal....What do ya'll think?

BigTexasChevy 02-18-2007 06:39 PM

RE: Reconditioned Truck Purchase

here is the issue with buying a previously wrecked truck......you have to look over EVERY damn piece of the truck almost.....but you can take care of alot of problems just by driving, and checking everything out as far as it drives, and feels.....my suggestion is that if you know anyone willing to help you out, take them with you, because from my experience the more people you have, usually the more things you notice, and preferably take a gear head with you, someone that doesnt mind spending a little time looking over everything with you, because you dont wanna buy this vehicle, and then end up spending more to keep broke things fixed on it. Anyways as far as your title, it just basically means the title was released for any of several reasons, and is proabably because it was totaled out. Reconditioned titles are nothing bad anyways, as long as you dont trade the truck in, because you probably wont get a lot for it. Now one other thing ask them as many questions about it, as you can, find out all the info you can get. Anyways it does sound like an allright deal, and a big ass truck ....good luck with your purchase.

hunt4game29 02-18-2007 08:48 PM

Make sure that the frame is not bent. From what i have been around it takesalot to totala newer year truck with out the frame bigging bent. So i would make sure its not bent. Thanks

SC_Chevy_Lover 02-22-2007 04:59 AM

PLEASE take your time and check the truck out very well! In most cases, buying a previously wrecked truck can give you more trouble than it's worth. Good luck in your decision.

sc64chevy 02-24-2007 12:22 AM

One of the biggest things with an r-titled vehicle is finding out what was happened to it. I worked for a used car dealership that dealt with some. And you would be surprised what a vehicle can get totaled out for today. You can get some really good deals on these vehicles. But if was totalled out from a flood be very very leary of it. Especially if it was salt water because it will eventually ruin everything electrically if it got that deep. And as far as the price i think thats top dollar for that truck. If you trade a lifted truck in they wont give you any extra money because its lifted so dont pay a bunch of extra money because it has a lift kit and big tires.

txsilvertoy 02-27-2007 11:52 AM

I did go ahead and buy the truck after talking with the person who built the truck. He's been in the auto body business for 20 years and builds a couple trucks a year. He found the truck in Illinois, replaced the entire cab. He also put a 6" Fabtech susp. lift, 3" body lift, 37" Nitto Mud Grappler tires and 18" Moto Metal Wheels. Also, installed a superchip and added a custom paint job. I also talked with several people in the area I live and they all said he had a good reputation for building trucks. Thanks for all those who gave your input..........It's greatly appreciated!!!! :-)[8D]

hunt4game29 02-27-2007 12:53 PM

Hey if there is any why for you to post some pictures on here. Thanks

SC_Chevy_Lover 02-27-2007 03:12 PM

Hey txsilvertoy, congrats on your new truck!! I hope you enjoy it!

BigTexasChevy 02-27-2007 05:25 PM

Congrats on the truck man.....bet it is a sweet ass ride.......send some pics!!