Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

carburator help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Default carburator help

i have a 84 gmc high sierra 4x4. its got a 350 cammed with headers and exhaust ( and lifted).. i just got this truck about a month ago and if i stomp on the gas it sputters and most of the times completly cuts out and stalls. i was looking at the carb and the one (primary venturi clusters ?) is melted/bent. looks like it had a bad backfire or something at some time. would that cause the problems i am having? and also when i bought this truck the guy told me that the truck runs best with the timiing its at now which is 19 over? doesnt that seem a little much? any help would be great guys. thanks !

Attached Thumbnails carburator help-my-truck.jpg  
Old 06-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

I would open up the carb and see what other damage has been done. Sounds like the pump is bad. Just rebuild anyways if its not too bad. If it is then look at getting another carb but, get one that is good for that set up you have. Like a demon or holley. And that timing can be done by ear. That is how I did it, till I hear pinging then retard a little. Just make sure you run good gas or you will have pre detonation and mess up that motor.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Default carburator help

I think i need to order some parts for my carbs, the part number is 16150-ZV7-010 jet set16166-ZW2-000 nozzle main16010-ZV4-005 gasket set16221-ZW2-000 gasket carburator.The qestion is if i order the quantity of 3 do i get 3 jet sets or 9 and the same for the other parts?Thanks