Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Seat Belt Help

Old 10-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Default Seat Belt Help

Hey Guys,
i need desperate help immediately. I have a 2001 Silverado 1500. My passenger side seat belt got fully extracted and it will no longer retract back in. How do I repair this? Can I take the seat cover off and do this myself? Is there an online manual showing me how to do this? Any help would be great thanks! I'm leaving on a trip on thursday morning so I've only got today and tomorrow to fix it.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Default RE: Seat Belt Help

the seat belt is non-serviceable...you MAY be able to do something....
getting to it is a real bitch...i can outline it,...but its tough

Old 10-16-2007, 06:15 PM

That'd be great if you could outline it for me. Even if I could just get to it to see what is wrong with it.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:31 AM

ok..

remove the plastic panel (lower) that covers the switches and handles....about 4 phillips screws and the recliner handles.

this exposes the lower seat belt anchor nut...remove that nut...(18 mm)

the seat cover (backrest)....slide the seat forward ...at the bottom of the seatback...the seat cover is seamed together with a black,plastic strip....seperate that strip with a screwdriver...you'll also see 2 small flaps of fabric held in with 2 tiny black pladstic retainers...remove those retainers.......the seatback cover will now be like a shirt with its tails out.

up high....where the belt goes into the seatback...is a plastic trim guide...pop the guide out of the seat....it will remain captured around the belt.

remove the headrest.....extend it up....look at the headrest base....where the pins go into the seat....the pins pass thru plastic bases,.....those bases have a tiny hole each.....use a pick to stick in those holes to rel;ease a button...and slide the headrest out.(this may require a helper....you kinda mneed to do em together)

now...I assume this is NOT a captains chair...with an armrest.....the seat cover must be "peeled up".....again,you'll need a helper...a "peel buddy"...

one on either side...you'll "roll" the seatback fabric up..inside out.in other words,grab the base of the shirt-tail fabric,and turn it inside-out.....work the 2 sides up evenly....it'll only go a bit at a time....you'll be looking at the yellow foam side as its being peeled up...slide your arm behind the cover on the front side a bit,to release some velcro...

keep peeling...up..up...up....those headrest plastic guides will stop uyou at the top....just leave the cover ...inside out...at the top of the seat.

you'll have exposed a plastic "helmet" up high,that the seat belt passes thru.....it has a 7mm screw on either side...slip the helmet off....and you can see if the belt is hung there....

down low....you see a wall of cardboard...carefully pry the cardboard away from the seat....it has a couple retainer puins....and some glue....but you can pry it away enough to see the belt.

now you can see the belt assembly.....a 50mm torx bolt down low,and 1 up high,and you can remove the whole belt

its a bitch...pays an hour...sucks,doesn't it?