Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

spark plug wiring help

Old 06-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Default spark plug wiring help

i changed my wires on my truck 1996 chevy 1500 305 engine. i did not think that the way you wire in the plugs made a difference but i started to get a check engine light. well i pulled the code and it was P0303 which is a misfire on cylinder #3. well i pull the plug out and it was fouled the plugs are brand new and so is the cap and rotor. all acdelco oem. i cleaned the plug off and cleared the code and the CEL came back on. so next i swap the plug with the #1 cylinder and cleared the code again and back the CEL came on again. the truck is runing rough at idle or on a the road also. at idle about 900 rpms the engine runs bad before 900 and after it is fine. well next i swaped my wires #1 and #3 and the truck ran fine and i drove it around and no CEL. the only thing i notice is that the truck felt funny on take off but after that it was fine. i am think may because it has sat so long the more i drove it the better it ran. well next i change back the wires and sure enough the code came back on. i check the wires with a multimeter and #1 was 27.1 and #3 was 27.7. i dont know why this is but i was inform that wires need to be replaces exactly as they were first installed because of a magented field. the have to be in a criss cross pattern, not parrell to each other. well if any knows the exact wire route for my truck ( not firing order) please let me know.,

Old 06-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Default RE: spark plug wiring help

here is more in formation as to what i am talking about read this article at this link http://www.inct.net/~autotips/plugwire.htm maybe it well make sense to some one

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------