Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Spark Plugs (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/spark-plugs-19714/)

ItBeMe 05-27-2013 02:38 PM

Spark Plugs

I have a 97 GMC 5.7 V8 that I am going to put new spark plugs in. Who is having the best luck with what kind and why and what are the crappy one to stay away from. Thanks for your help. :)

NullHead 05-27-2013 08:48 PM

OEM AC Delco plugs always. Go to the dealer and get them.

Let me ask it this way: If AC Delco makes hundreds of different spark plugs, and updates them regularly, how cam Bosch get away with making ~30 different plugs and call it good? I put Bosch in my old truck's 305 and it ran mediocre. Put AC Delco pluts in my Firebird's 305 and thing runs amazing. My point is, do you wear one size fits all underwear? Neither does your engine. Get the GM spec plugs, gap 'em (unless they're double platinum cause then you'll bust the platinum off!) and run it with some quality wires and you'll thank yourself later (another 60K miles).

That's my philosophy on it, but my old work swore my Champion double platinum plugs. Seemed to work good.

ItBeMe 05-28-2013 03:13 PM

I have done my home work. And this is what I am going with. AC Delco Iridium 41-993 They seam to get 5 stars on a few sites.:)

In2Trux 05-28-2013 03:40 PM

Spark plug !?!?!
Welcome back dude :D

ItBeMe 05-31-2013 04:45 PM

Well I put them plugs in and it about killed me. My daughter chewed my a** out and said with my health I should not fix anything on that truck. Oh well them plugs will out live me.Runs real good get 5 mpg better and 15 hp more for those that will believe that BS. Anyway I love the new Alpine with bluetooth that I put in. Anyway I will go to the Dr. Mon. I fell like I have some cracked ribs and am black blue & yellow on my rib cage. It pure hell getting old. Oh well now I have to fine something else to do. :)

In2Trux 05-31-2013 06:48 PM

Holly Crap MAN !!! Sounds like you busted you ass on that job. Hope your gonna be alrite. Hey !!! Take the weekend off and take it easy.

ItBeMe 05-31-2013 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by In2Trux (Post 80449)
Holly Crap MAN !!! Sounds like you busted you ass on that job. Hope your gonna be alrite. Hey !!! Take the weekend off and take it easy.

Well it would have been a piece of cake if i was younger. As for taking the weekend off, I am retired so I have a 7 day weekend, plus she is watching me like a hawk.:confused:

In2Trux 05-31-2013 09:37 PM

My wife and I are in our early 50s Being self employed, we are starting to slow down. We're learning to let go of some of the business and allow the staff to take care of the little things
On a good week we can have a 4 day weekend :D
I'm turning 51 in July and my wife will be 52 this Sept

NullHead 05-31-2013 11:21 PM

wow man hope you'll be alright! But I guess it's good that your spark plugs are working good for you!