Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Sqealing belt AGAIN!! (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/sqealing-belt-again-19358/)

stumped2 01-14-2013 05:01 AM

Sqealing belt AGAIN!!

I've got a 2007 Chevy Silverado classic W/T with a V6. 115K miles. Serpentine belt has been replaced 4 times in the last 2 years. Belt tensioner was replaced a year ago. Squealing goes away for a time then comes back. Replaced the belt AGAIN last week. It was quiet for a week and now it's back. This is getting to be a costly pain in the butt. Any suggestions?..
Thanks everyone.

ItBeMe 01-14-2013 05:16 AM

Are you 100% sure it is the belt that is making the noise.:confused:

RustyFordLover 01-14-2013 05:30 AM

Put some of that NAPA belt dressing on it. It works good. Does the truck have A/C?

ItBeMe 01-14-2013 05:44 AM

This is the first that I have ever heard of a serpentine belt making noise. The belt lays flat on the pulleys. Not like a v belt that goes down in the groves. So that tells me a pulley is stopping for just a very short time, if you have AC i would look at the clutch.:)

RustyFordLover 01-14-2013 05:49 AM

They actually do tend to squeel, but as you said, it is a pulley that't not turning a lot of the time. A good one to also check is the idlers.

ItBeMe 01-14-2013 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by RustyFordLover (Post 78998)
They actually do tend to squeel, but as you said, it is a pulley that't not turning a lot of the time. A good one to also check is the idlers.

He said he replaced tensioner so yes if it were me I would take the belt off and check every pulley real good. But I am putting my money on the AC clutch.:confused:

stumped2 01-14-2013 01:46 PM

Yes it apperars to be the belt. I've tried belt dressing and it quiets for a short time...very short....sometimes a full day. Once the belt is removed, the noise is completely gone. I understand that doesn't necessarily mean it is the belt. I will look at the A/C pulley/clutch. Someone also told me the lower pulley on the harmonic balancer could also be bad (damaged) causing the belt to wear prematurely.

Thanks for the help. I will post back when I find this problem.

RustyFordLover 01-14-2013 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by ItBeMe (Post 78999)
He said he replaced tensioner so yes if it were me I would take the belt off and check every pulley real good. But I am putting my money on the AC clutch.:confused:

I'm not talking about the tensioner, I'm talking about that one little pulley down there and does nothing. Just a bolt to through the middle to bold it to the block. I have had it go out quite a bit. It's right below the alternator.

Is there any chance the truck was ever wrecked?

stumped2 01-15-2013 05:11 AM

No...never been in a wreck. My wife doesn't drive it. :D

RustyFordLover 01-15-2013 06:02 AM

I'd check the idlers. There is one or two that roll on the flat spsmooth side of the belt, and that is usually where the noise comes from.