Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Stock air intake on a 2K Tahoe (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/stock-air-intake-2k-tahoe-5801/)

withac 01-12-2008 05:44 PM

Stock air intake on a 2K Tahoe

I didn't see a Tahoe specific forum so I figured this would work. If I missed it sorry. I just picked up my 2K Tahoe last month. This is the first Chevy truck I've owned (I'm really liking it too). In looking under the hood I have a question about the configuration of the air intake tube. It flattens out and extends over the radiator shroud. I assume that is to compensate for the narrowing of the tube so it can pass behind the shroud. Between the wide/flat section and the air box it also extends down quite a bit where it has a larger compartment on it. Did that make sense? If it did, can anyone tell me what the point of this downward extension of the air intake tube does?

Thanks,
[/align]

72charger 01-12-2008 10:30 PM

RE: Stock air intake on a 2K Tahoe

So far there have been several ideas on what it is but most agree it is just a "silencer" for the intake to help minimize the sucking/whistleing sounds you get from a smooth and non-restrictive air intake. Not sure if you've ever had a vehicle with a cold air intake but if you have I'm sure you now understand. Most people would deem that sound "annoying" while gear heads enjoy it. A lot of people have removed it and put a spray paint cap over where it goes and clamped it down onto it. I haven't done this because I can't really see it creating any improvements other than the sucking sound.;)

withac 01-13-2008 04:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I had an AirRaid CAI on my 2K Durango so I think I know what you're talking about. It gave me a 2 mpg boost and a little bit better throttle response. The AirRaid for the 2K Tahoe looks more restrictive than the K&N model. I think I'll likely put a K&N on the 'Ho.

72charger 01-13-2008 04:27 PM

Sounds like a plan. They aren't cheap though. I think the best price I've seen has been on Summit Racing.

withac 01-13-2008 04:34 PM

Thanks. From what I've seen they run around 230 +/-. I have a friend up the street who owns a stereo shop, he also sells performance parts. He got me an AirRaid for my 2K Durago for the same price as the cheapest I could find online, I paid no shipping, and I kept my $ local. The Durango was totaled last month, I replaced it with the Tahoe. I took the AirRaid off before they hauled it away. I'll sell it and put whatever I get out of it towards the K&N.

MrLM7 01-14-2008 10:59 PM

Check out the S&B intakes.

MrLM7 01-14-2008 11:00 PM

Or just do the free mod...

ito707 01-15-2008 12:16 AM

If your going to go with K&N don't get the 77 series unless you want your engine bay to look good the aluminum tube gets too hot you will get better gains with the fipk plastic tube.

jcbst12 01-15-2008 07:34 AM

I agree with ito707. Aluminum will heat up quick and stay hot. Its not detrimental cause the air usually passes thru it pretty quick but the "off-idle" response will suffer.

withac 01-15-2008 05:21 PM

In looking at the K&N predicitions the HP gain on the 77 series is a little lower, I imagine it's because of the aluminum intake. Yeah, I'll go with the plastic tube if I go K&N. I'll take a look at the S&B's right now. Thanks.