Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Supercharger (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/supercharger-8277/)

aferrara50 10-27-2008 05:06 PM

Supercharger

I'm Looking to put a supercharger and nitrous on my 08 silverado with the 5.3L vortec. Was wondering which would be best: Procharger, Magnacharger, Wipple? NOS, Zex?

DamnYankee 10-27-2008 05:50 PM

RE: Supercharger

Visit LS1truck.com and performancetrucks.net, do a lot of reading, then ask questions, then make your decision.

MrLM7 11-12-2008 08:23 PM

Supercharger = good

Turbo(s) = great

Nitrous Oxide = like a hot chick with the clap... You want to hit it, but it's gonna end badly...

smoke20 11-12-2008 09:50 PM

Procharger seemed to be the best boost, easy install, and reliablewhen I was in the market. Cost for all is about the same. Plan on $4-5k. The ting I like about the Procharger is no tapping of the oilpan, and the weak link is a belt that cost less than $100 to replace every 50,000 miles.

6mins2live 11-12-2008 10:23 PM

I would go with a supercharger over a turbo just for pure ease of install, a couple hours, it bolts on and your driving again. Nitrous Oxide is terrible for a non-built motor.

DamnYankee 11-13-2008 02:35 PM

Not being argumentative - but nitrous can actually be good for an engine. It keeps it super clean.

Add to that, these LS engines can take it in moderation. They can actually take pretty big hits. So in moderation, it's fine.

gpet6669 11-13-2008 02:51 PM

I agree, nitrous is OK in moderation. But only in moderation on a non-spacific built motor. I would not like to blow a perfectly goodmotor for a 200 shot of nitrous. It's just not worth it!

smoke20 11-13-2008 09:58 PM

You also have to look at wet vs dry nitrous. I don't know personally, but what I have been told is wet nitrous is safe. I was concerned about it until I was told about everyday trucks running wet nitrous with no issues. Solook into that. Like I said this is all second hand, but check it out, and really look at the procharger.

gpet6669 11-14-2008 04:09 PM

I personnally like the Magnacharger, I like it becouse it has every thing built in and it is really easy to put on. The way I understand it is, it is a positive displacement charger. Basically, the way that I understand it is it makes a small block drive like a big block yet it has the fuel mileage of a small block. But for a big block it works more like a"really"big block, if you know what I mean. Basically it adds that amount of cubic inches that the charger is rated for. Once again that is how it was explained to me, but I have looked into it and their web site says the same thing, just in more techincal terms.

If I was building a daily driver, that is what I would use.

I know of one guy that has a 122 magnacharger on his 6.0L GTO and runs a 150 shot of nitrous. He has the fastest 60' time for all GTO's that are 6 speed. I guess he is on ls1.com, but I only know him very little. He has about 475 to the ground.

Good luck and do your research into what you want to do withyour truck.

DamnYankee 11-14-2008 11:28 PM

From what I've read and been told, turbo's are more fuel efficient than superchargers...

Superchargers are generally going to give more low-end torque. Turbos will generally give more up top. I've got around 500 to the ground and wouldn't really sweat racing any truck with a supercharger.