Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tailgate Window Latch 94 Suburban

Old 01-18-2014, 11:36 PM
Beginner
Default Tailgate Window Latch 94 Suburban

I'm stumped again. The rear electric tailgate window latch moves and seems to work fine while down. When up it also works. The actuator seems to be doing its job. But if I close the window, the electric switch for the latch won't release the window. I have to keep using my key manually. Any ideas here?

Last edited by MRC Chevy; 01-18-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Administrator

I'm not any kind of pro at the automotive electrical... But as I understand it. A electric window is similar to a three way switch with the exception of the open and close cancellation switch.
When your window reaches it top most point it will automatically open the circuit so it can't go up anymore or burn the motor out. Like wise going down, it will open the down circuit to stop it from continually trying to go down after reaching bottom.
These sensors can be located either on the motor gear or on the window track.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:31 AM
Beginner

Thanks; I wasn't clear enough.

My electric switch works fine; it just wouldn't open the hatch window above the tailgate. If you can believe this, here's the reason why: In the '94 Chevy the tailgate window "pops" back just a few millimeters to clear the latch once the electric switch is pushed. However, what stumped me was in determining what mechanism pushes it back. I couldn't find a spring or other means, and mine wasn't being pushed back. The reason is that the weatherstrip seal is the only mechanism! If the weatherstrip is good, it compresses upon closing the window and pops the window out once the switch is pushed. My weatherstrip was a bit worn, so I did two things: a) glued a small piece of new hardware store weatherstrip to the hatch; and b) slid new weatherstrip pieces, one at each end of the tailgate, into the stock "hollow" weatherstrip along the top ridge of the tailgate where it apparently was shot. The result is that my switch now works like new. I hope this helps some future C1500 '92-'99 Suburban/Yukon owner in a similar situation.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 PM
TruckForum Addict

huh neat. So the latch and switch did their job but the glass didn't "pop" out of it's recessed area in the hatch? So if you put something in there and pried on it the glass would move out when you popped it with the button?

Neat trick! Thanks for reporting back