Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Third door on 99 will not close properly

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Default Third door on 99 will not close properly

99 LT/Ext Cab/4x4/Z71; 67,000 miles; problem just started aweek or soa go. Looks like the third door (ext cab door/pass. side) will not latch properly (it latches at the top and the bottom....will catch but door still moves a little...will rotate the upper latch teeth then seems to close ok...but not really....(sometimes this works...sometimes not...have not tried the bottom one)....nor even when it seems to latch/close properly the regular passenger door still does not seal properly......lots of air noise from door.....has anyone run into this problem before? is there an adjustment that I can try and do before I take it to the dealership....trying to save some money here.........thanks

Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Default RE: Third door on 99 will not close properly

If you haven't tried spraying the latches with your favorite penetrating oil, I'd do that. I was wondering if it might be linked to the cold but, if you're in MI, it's been cold there for more than a month like here in WI [:'(]

Old 01-12-2009, 12:40 AM

I have the same problem with my driver side passenger door and it starts when it gets cold, around 40 or so. Here in Texas I only have to deal with it for a couple of months but it is still annoying because the only way to remedy it is to slam the door really hard and then it will completely latch. Not a good thing when I have my kids in the back. I am trying to find info on this too.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Both of mine do it all the time. The bottom goes in fine, but the tops will be loose. I don't really have to slam it hard, but when I close them I push towards the top, and keep my hand on the door untill its all the way closed. In other words, I don't "throw" it closed like you typically do a regular front door. The extra pressure form me pushing it closed seems to work.

My girlfriend can't seem to figure this out even though I've told her many times how to do it. She slams the damn thing so hard I swear she's gonna shatter the rear window.