Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Temp control switch (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/temp-control-switch-17271/)

mrradiation 08-09-2011 05:02 PM

Temp control switch

Anybody know if you can buy just the temp control switch, or do you have to buy the whole cluster. All I have been able to find so far is the whole cluster on the internet.

For 97 GMC

Razoo 08-11-2011 04:39 AM

Go to the dealer parts department and ask if the switch is sold separately. If it is, then you'll know the correct part number, and to keep looking, or just to pick up one of the clusters you've seen.
In either case, the dealers parts department will be the most expensive place to get it, but it would hurt to have them price it out for you while you're there.
Last time I check, info was free, even from the dealership, though very little else is.

Mr_Shamrock 08-11-2011 06:55 AM

I have never seen them available separately.

mrradiation 08-11-2011 11:25 AM

Thanks guys. I never go to the dealer for anything, now way am I paying their prices.

I was afraid it was going to be the whole cluster. Guess I will just have to surf around for the best price.

Razoo 08-11-2011 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mrradiation (Post 70491)
Thanks guys. I never go to the dealer for anything, now way am I paying their prices.

I was afraid it was going to be the whole cluster. Guess I will just have to surf around for the best price.

Re-read my post. I didn't suggest you to buy from the dealer. I suggested you use them as a source to find out if the switch is available by itself. It will save you time.
Don't buy it from them, just use them to get the info. There is no charge for information from dealerships.

....at least not yet.

mrradiation 08-11-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Razoo (Post 70492)
Re-read my post. I didn't suggest you to buy from the dealer. I suggested you use them as a source to find out if the switch is available by itself. It will save you time.
Don't buy it from them, just use them to get the info. There is no charge for information from dealerships.

....at least not yet.

Sorry did not mean it so sound that way if it did. I understand about going to the dealer, just do not like too, lol. Its that feeling you get when driving on the lot that they are just out to get as much out of you, even if you are just going for info.

I found the part on amazon, as well as other sites online for about 120 bucks, ouch. Thoug the reviews say that is about 1/3 to 1/2 of dealer cost.

Razoo 08-11-2011 08:46 PM

Ahhh... No sweat, man. It's cool. I understand about not wanting to buy from the dealer. They are usually my last resort, too.

Mr_Shamrock 08-11-2011 08:55 PM

You might be surprised on some items - the dealer is real close to the aftermarket.

Whitaker24 08-12-2011 10:14 PM

I agree about the dealer. If my brother didnt work for Chevrolet I couldnt afford them myself. With his employee discount its usually cheaper than parts stores and you get a genuine GM product in most cases.
I think the cluster is sold as one piece.