Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Testimonial! 99-06 Silverado/Sierra Seat movement

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Default Testimonial! 99-06 Silverado/Sierra Seat movement

In just about every Silverado/ Sierra of this age range, I've noticed that the power seats will move about a half inch forward or backward when accelerating or braking... which is irritating.

My grandfather has had his eye on a 99 silverado that was owned by an older gentleman and babied it's entire life down in florida. When the older guy passed away, my grandpa got first dibs at the truck and got a great deal on what is basically a brand new 99 silverado...

Both front seats had the aforementioned play in them, so I did some research and ended up at GM GMC CHEVROLET CHEVY POWER SEAT TRACK REPAIR - GMSeat Repair.com. I ordered their kit on ebay and for less than $20 we were hoping to fix the issue... but between ordering the kit and it arriving, the drivers seat lost all forward and backwards movement. This kit comes with very comprehensive instructions and a video that make it amazingly easy, but one of the requisites is that it has to be all the way forward to get a couple of bolts out.

I searched and searched for a new motor, but they are very hard to come by and VERY expensive. Upon closer inspection, I could hear the motor engaging, but almost acted as if it was jammed. The best option was going to be getting the seat apart.

Basically, GM GMC CHEVROLET CHEVY POWER SEAT TRACK REPAIR - GMSeat Repair.com and Jon Gray of Gray's garage have figured out that GM cheaped out on a "spacer" component of the power seats that was made of rubber. Over time, these spacers disintegrate and melt allowing the seat to have play. They have developed and built replacement spacers out of some sort of plastic resin (I'm assuming ABS) that will not disintegrate.

I emailed Jon and he was extremely helpful in walking us through the process of disassembling the seat tracks without moving the seat. the rubber spacers had disintegrated and hardened so that it took multiple soakings in spirits and wire brushings to get the "worm gear" clean, but after it was all reassembled, it was as good as new!

I don't usually write reviews or testimonials, but Jon went way above and beyond what would have been acceptable to help us out, and as a result, both front seats will be as good as new for less than $20!

Old 03-17-2016, 07:20 AM

That was a good deal. I know your Grandpa will appreciate that. I have a '14 with power seats and had a similar problem. After just a few hundred miles, the drivers seat seemed to move when turning corners. The seat wasn't loose but something was moving in it. I took it to the dealer and they knew exactly what to do. They ordered a repair kit of some kind. It's fine now but you would think they would have figured it out by now.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Really? Dangit I was really banking on it being fixed prior to my truck...