Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   truck sputters randomly (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/truck-sputters-randomly-17210/)

dfwguitarist 08-02-2011 07:55 PM

truck sputters randomly

I have a 2001 chevy silverado 5.3L which has been giving me several problems recently.

For a while it has been taking 2-3 tries to get it to start, usually always the 2nd time. On my way home my truck began to sputter the more that I gave it gas. In order to better experience the problem I pushed the gas pedal down the whole way and my truck basically reacted according to my tachometer. As my RPM's were up it ran fine, it would quickly drop down and go back up the entire time I gave it gas. It used to only happen after the engine got warm.

Now it takes about 6-7 tries to get it started and happens after a minute or so. I recently got a P0171 (O2 Sensor) code but I read that there could be numerous problems associated with this code. Therefore, I decided to see if someone could help me narrow it down. It has also died out a couple of times while driving. It starts idling very rough and then dies. It's usually while I'm driving and giving it gas, not just stopped at a stoplight.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Wiked 08-02-2011 08:02 PM

check your EGR valve, Maybe clean your throttle body, and check for vacuum leaks

Wiked 08-02-2011 08:05 PM

also plugs and wires, and fuel filter, TPS sensor also ignition coils

cubpak89 08-02-2011 08:21 PM

he doesnt have a tbi he has efi
anyway check your o2 sensors and your ignition fuze and coil go to a local parts store and ask them to test your battery and altenator its free at most stores
then barrow an obd2 scanor from a store and find out what codes its throwing

Wiked 08-02-2011 08:46 PM

when my old truck did that i replaced plugs coils cleaned My EGR valve and cleaned my throttle and checked my fuel delivery and it ran like new

dfwguitarist 08-03-2011 08:51 PM

thanks for all the suggestions. i'll check it all out and report back as soon as I find out which fix took care of it.

Wiked 08-03-2011 09:06 PM

but it would be a good idea to test O2's

because they do in a way control fuel mixture and if they go bad your truck will run like crap

MrDragon 08-03-2011 09:28 PM

Check your fuel pressure while you're at it just to rule out the fuel pump.

dfwguitarist 08-09-2011 01:10 PM

Cleaned up the throttle body, egr valve, and checked my plugs. Plugs were only a couple months old, gapped at the wrong distance. Bought some new o2 sensors and installed them yesterday. The truck seems to be running much better. No more sputtering...yet.

Still takes a while to start and it died 5 minutes into a drive yesterday. Drove today for 30 minutes with no problem. Got a service engine light though, as soon as I find out what it is I'll post it.

cubpak89 08-09-2011 08:12 PM

did you delet the code when you were done replacing all of the stuff you replaced if not the code or codes will come back :D