Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Turbo or Supercharger? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/turbo-supercharger-5041/)

JohnAdamsR 11-04-2007 02:46 PM

Turbo or Supercharger?

So, ive been thinking about long term mods for my truck and Im wondering about installing a turbo or supercharger. How feasible is this really? I know it will cost at least $5k but what else is involved? How safe is this? Do i also have to upgrade my camshaft and other parts to keep up with the new power increase? Is that too much power for my transmission (auto)? How much labor is involved in the install? Could I do it myself? which is better for a daily driver--Turbo or Supercharger?

All that i know so far is that superchargers reduce gas mileage and turbos help it. Turbos have a delay when spooling up, superchargers deliver power instantly. super is belt driven, turbo is exhaust driven. i think a re-tune is required when installing either one also

i know its alot of questions but i have no experience in this area
thanks

majordad 11-04-2007 03:22 PM

RE: Turbo or Supercharger?

I think the compression ration has to be changed (thicker head gasket)if addinga turbo. I am not sure about the compression ratio changes necessary for a super charger. It probably needs changed too. And a turbo won't add to fuel mileage (my experience at least) but shouldn't decrease it that much unless driven hard. I would suspect a supercharger would produce less fuel mileage than a turbocharger. Turbo lag can be tinkered with but not totally eliminated.

Cracker 11-04-2007 06:29 PM

Check out this site

http://www.ststurbo.com/turbo_vs__supercharger

You will need injectors, a tune, and possibly a fuel pump. Diablo has a tune you can download to thier programmers specifically for STS.

04silverado 11-04-2007 07:10 PM

With either one, bottom end mods will be needed. You need a lower compression ratio with either setup. Also, putting more air in, you need more fuel. A supercharger takes hp to make hp, turbo doesnt. So, with that said, I would be going with a turbo. When its cold, the turbo wont make the hp as quick, but the hotter it gets, the more power, and the faster it makes it.

jcbst12 11-05-2007 09:29 AM

I was under the impression that turbos and superchargers both take power from the engine to make power, but superchargers do it quicker as exhaust gas pressure is needed to turn the turbo. And heat in any sense is bad for turbos as they need to be cooled to prevent malfunction and the intake of air from them should be cooled as well. Am I close or way off base here?

majordad 11-05-2007 09:35 AM

water cooled turbo is far better than an air cooled turbo.

04silverado 11-05-2007 02:03 PM

a water cooled turbo is used in marine applications. an air cooled turbo is automotive. the hotter the turbo gets, the better it works. you cool the air leaving the compressor before it gets to the intake of the engine. this is done with a charge air cooler or intercooler

majordad 11-05-2007 02:39 PM

now I am confused. I now can't remember if my Saab's and Volvo's in the past were water cooled. I know they had oil lubration/cooling but something makes me think they were water cooled too.

04silverado 11-05-2007 03:37 PM

The turbo has oil running to it, 2 lines, one to the top, one out the bottom, one is an oil feed, one isa drain. If the turbo is water cooled, it will have a water jacket on the outside of the exhaust compressor housing. You may be thinking of the type of air cooler you have. One type of air cooler uses outside air to cool the compressed air coming from the turbo, one uses engine coolant to do so. Turbos do not take hp to make hp, only superchargers do.

jcbst12 11-05-2007 04:34 PM

Ok Im thinking of turbo lag not hp tp make hp. So technically a supercharger and a turbo producing the same boost would result in the turbo pumping out more hp?