Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Unusual Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:16 PM
qws
Beginner

Originally Posted by NullHead
It still sound mechanical at this point. If you're sure it isn't the ABS trying to kick in, then it's got to be something mechanical. Try unplugged a wheel speed sensor. If it isn't the caliper pins getting stuck in the caliper and the thing isn't moving, it's got to be the ABS pump kicking on and keeping your foot out of the pedal.
I will try an unplug the abs sensors at the wheel and update.
thanks

Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM

Based on your comment: "grinding noise froim brake pedal", I think you do have an ABS controller issue.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:09 AM
TruckForum Addict

See TSB 03-05-25-007D

Seems like this could be related to your problem.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:28 PM
qws
Beginner

Thats some good information...thank you.
I won't have a chance to try that today but what I did do today is remove the ABS fuse in the engine bay electrical box. ABS and Brake lights are on but in the driveway at least it seems to be stopping fine.
Once I try this and the TSB that Nullhead posted I will report back.
thanks again for the help

Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 AM

I don't know what kind of code reader you are using, but make sure it is capable of reading ABS codes; not all of them do that.

Gerald

Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 AM
qws
Beginner

I do believe I've finally found my problem. As you know I removed the fuse for the ABS a few days ago, its been braking fine. Pulled my boat around and still no problems.

Unitl...Yesterday
I was on the highway cruising along at about 75 mph...I then heard a "pop". I immediatly pulled over to the side of the road and couldn't find anything broke. So I got back in and drove it off the highway and it was wobbling like crazy. Definetly not safe to drive so I call a flatbed. Got it home...jacked it up. Both front hubs are broken! Thinking since I've got to replace those I may as well replace the CV joint half shafts at the same time since I'll have them all apart.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 AM
qws
Beginner
Default quick questions

The bolts that hold on the CV joint I'm assuming are standard thread?
Put 2 different impact wrenches on it and it won't touch them.
thanks

Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 AM
TruckForum Addict

My guess is that it's a 34mm+ size socket. You're talking about the axle nut its self? I just got the 1/2" drive harbor freight axle nut socket set in the red case ... those usually work out for me.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 AM
qws
Beginner

Originally Posted by NullHead
My guess is that it's a 34mm+ size socket. You're talking about the axle nut its self? I just got the 1/2" drive harbor freight axle nut socket set in the red case ... those usually work out for me.
Nope.. I got those off. I'm talking about the ones that bolt the half shaft to the axle. I think there's eight of them with 15MM heads.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 PM
qws
Beginner

New hubs/ABS sensors/CV joints are all on, Fuse back in electrical fuse box. Ran down the road seems fine, parking lot parking seems back to normal.
I'll report back in a couple of days to let you all know if it is finally fixed now. I see to many threads left not completed.
thanks guys for your help.

Quick Reply: Unusual Brake Problem