Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

wanting to know how and pictures would be good too

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default wanting to know how and pictures would be good too

ok can somebody explain to me how to hook up a trailor brake controller
i searched all over my truck and found the white and blue wires
one runs to my battery but isnt hooked up
the other runst to a vehical ground
then there are 2 wires the go from under the dash neer the fire wall that is blue and white
that go to the trans hump then runs under it somewhere
i am trying to figure this out as the ones that are running to my battery and vehical ground are wire tied to gether
and i wanna put a trailor brake controller in
i may look at my brothers truck he has one but the wires on the under side riped out when he was mudding
any pictures would be very helpful

Old 08-06-2011, 03:45 PM

the blue and white wires are for charging your trailer batt while towing, a lot of people don't even hook them up, you should have a plug that came with your truck in the glove box, it hooks up to the brake controler and plugs into the panel at your left foot under the dash, should be a diagram in your manual for this, it's pretty simple to do really, hope this helps.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:52 PM
TruckForum Addict

mines not a z71 package just the 4x4 package i went and baught a new controller so i can use that diagram to try and wire it but im still confused on how to cuase it jsut says connect a wire to the stoplight wire on my truck
notsure of where that is

Old 08-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Beginner

How many wires and what colour are the wires on your brake controller? The blue wire under your truck is for the trailer brake, the end by the battery is the end to connect to the controller. What year is your truck?

Last edited by daveb1; 08-06-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: truck year
Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 PM
TruckForum Addict

my truck is a 94 silverado
i went under the dash with a multi meter and i think i found the right wires i checked for power on all of them
the purple wires were the only ones that when the brake pedal was pressed it did not have power and i forgot that brake lights run off of ground not power silly me anyway there were a pink with black stripe then a white 3 purple wires then on orange wihich had pwoer at all times which my wireing schematic in my haynes said it would
so im thinknin just hook into one of the purple wires and it will be ok ]
on the brake controller it came with a plug that normally would be plugged into the left side under the dash
the colors of the wires are white blue black and red
i nkow what the colors whould go to but i couldnt figure out for the life of me where they go to as my truck didnt have the factory wire setup like most trucks do the z71s do and vehicals with tow package
like i said the purpule wires going from my stoplight switch under the dash are white pink with black stripe then 2 purple then an orange
i tested all of them the only ones that didnt have power when i put my brake pedal down were the purple ones so im thinking that is the ones they refer to as the non powerd wire from the stoplight switch

Last edited by cubpak89; 08-06-2011 at 11:21 PM.