Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Water issue? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/water-issue-16692/)

gmc newbie 05-26-2011 03:00 PM

Water issue?

Hi all,

So I came home from a couple of weeks away, and the sierra had a hell of a time starting in the rain(it had rained for 2 weeks straight, and wasn't run at all). Got her going, no issues until a couple of days ago. It had rained overnight, and wouldn't start in the a.m. After work, I fiddled around , checked out the battery, fuel system etc, no problems. Noticed the engine was incredibly damp with water/condensation. Dried it off, no issues, she started running after a lot of cranking her over.Took it to work the nest day, no problems. Last night, really wet heavy fog, and same thing, the truck wouldn't start. Left it in the sun all day, and lo and behold, starts right up, no issues.

Has anyone had the problem?

and

Is it a distributor cap issue ie- a crack in the cap that moisture is getting into?

Thanks all!!

Mr_Shamrock 05-26-2011 03:50 PM

Thats the first thing I would check (distributor cap).

GM Customer Service 05-27-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by gmc newbie (Post 67636)
Hi all,

So I came home from a couple of weeks away, and the sierra had a hell of a time starting in the rain(it had rained for 2 weeks straight, and wasn't run at all). Got her going, no issues until a couple of days ago. It had rained overnight, and wouldn't start in the a.m. After work, I fiddled around , checked out the battery, fuel system etc, no problems. Noticed the engine was incredibly damp with water/condensation. Dried it off, no issues, she started running after a lot of cranking her over.Took it to work the nest day, no problems. Last night, really wet heavy fog, and same thing, the truck wouldn't start. Left it in the sun all day, and lo and behold, starts right up, no issues.

Has anyone had the problem?

and

Is it a distributor cap issue ie- a crack in the cap that moisture is getting into?

Thanks all!!

I’m sorry to hear about the concern you’re experiencing with your Sierra. I see Mr. Shamrock had a suggestion for you… has your dealer had input on this at all?

Thanks,
Laura

GM Customer Service

gmc newbie 05-28-2011 05:04 PM

I took some time this afternoon and started tinkering away on the truck. Popped off the distributor cap, took a good look at it and the rotor button. No issues there. Turns out it was a bad spark plug wire from #6 cylinder. Changed the plugs and wires, and the old girl sounds good now. Thanks to Mr. Shamrock for the advice.

cubpak89 05-28-2011 05:30 PM

glad to hear you fixed yoru problem if your plug wire was bad i would go ahead and replace all of them just to be on the safe side

GM Customer Service 05-31-2011 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by gmc newbie (Post 67706)
I took some time this afternoon and started tinkering away on the truck. Popped off the distributor cap, took a good look at it and the rotor button. No issues there. Turns out it was a bad spark plug wire from #6 cylinder. Changed the plugs and wires, and the old girl sounds good now. Thanks to Mr. Shamrock for the advice.

I’m glad to hear you were able to take care of the concern yourself! Let me know if you need anything in the future.

Thanks,
Laura

GM Customer Service