Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Where is my oil going?? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/where-my-oil-going-16914/)

alconk 06-26-2011 05:24 PM

Where is my oil going??

I'm getting ready to take a 1400 mile round trip journey trailering a car so I decided to do a tranny flush and change the fuel filter. After finished doing that I decided to check the oil although I just changed it 1000 miles ago and to my surprize it was down 4 quartz??? Where in the world did it go?? Granted it does have 263K miles on it but have never had a problem. It doesn't leak and doesn't smoke....It runs great and idles above 40 psi, crusing is around 60 psi. It's a 02 Silverado with the 5.3. I'm very concerned:confused:

Wiked 06-26-2011 08:15 PM

it can be alot of things.

it could be a slow oil leak if some is getting into your cylinder and burning maybe its just not smoking ive seen oil nut gaskets on the pan that leak oil filter gaskets that leak and regular ol leaks

check all around your engine and your oil pan filter and the nut to see if theres any oil. also check your plugs to see if they are oil fouled

In2Trux 06-26-2011 08:50 PM

Wiked knows his stuff.. An oil leak can be very subtle. but it can prov to be significant over time.

alconk 06-26-2011 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wiked (Post 68682)
it can be alot of things.

it could be a slow oil leak if some is getting into your cylinder and burning maybe its just not smoking ive seen oil nut gaskets on the pan that leak oil filter gaskets that leak and regular ol leaks

check all around your engine and your oil pan filter and the nut to see if theres any oil. also check your plugs to see if they are oil fouled

I'm a little confused with the terminology.. Are you saying to check the oil pan bolts? What are the oil nut gaskets?? When I was underneath today I looked around and found crudness around the starter but nothing leaking. I appreciate your help.

Mr_Shamrock 06-26-2011 09:32 PM

GM says it is normal for the 5.3 to burn a quart between changes - even more if towing. My old 2002 Yukon pulling a trailer to Daytona and back burned 1 1/2 quarts. 4 quarts in 1000 miles is very extreme unless it's leaking though. I never noticed the Yukon burning as far as smoking the oil out. I was very surprised to find it down as much as it was. That truck had 90,000 miles so it probably gets worse with mileage/wear. Do you ever smell burned oil after driving?

alconk 06-26-2011 10:26 PM

That's just it, nothing.. No smell, no smoke, no drops of oil on the floor.. Really weird. Makes me think I didn't add enough oil when I changed it last but I did. Six quarts

Mr_Shamrock 06-27-2011 08:06 AM

I asked about the smell because it could be a leak on the back of the engine that is getting burned off instead of puddling under the truck. I just went through this on my dad's Suburban. You are probably burning it slowly but constantly out of the exhaust. It will be worse under towing or hard driving.

Wiked 06-27-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by In2Trux (Post 68688)
Wiked knows his stuff.. An oil leak can be very subtle. but it can prov to be significant over time.

and im only 17 lol

But i just started going to college so i can start contributing more soon