Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Will a 2000 Z-71 tow a 5th wheel? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/will-2000-z-71-tow-5th-wheel-13144/)

blackrat 03-23-2010 03:26 PM

Will a 2000 Z-71 tow a 5th wheel?

We are wanting to buy a camper but need to figure out what my 5.3l Z-71 silverado will handle. I found that tow weight was a max of 11000 lbs. Most 5th wheels we have been looking at are around 9000lbs and 29-30' long. Will my truck pull it?

If it will are there any engine mods that will help. headers? FIPK instead of just a K&N filter? What about suspension mods? Particular shocks??

Thanks
Wade

slimburns 03-24-2010 07:31 AM

Short bed or long bed? Short bed you'll run the risk of smashing out the rear window of the truck when you turn w/ the 5th wheel. Long bed, you will be fine. That may be too much weight w/out mods depending on your rear end ratio, cause you'll be well over 10,000 lbs after you get all your gear/etc into that camper. I tow a 30 ft trailer trailer w/ a 5.3l, weighs 6,000 dry. I have a K&N CAI and just ordered a tune from Nelson Performance. I pull it fine, but I certainly won't win any races.

chrisbmo2000 03-24-2010 07:40 AM

Trailer Brakes.....Trailer Brakes......Trailer Brakes....This is the MOST important.
Trailer weight ratings are based on several things: Motor HP, gear ratio, ft lbs of torque, and stopping power of the brakes....the latter being the BIGGEST concern....as long as its a long bed or standard bed you are fine. And as long as you install a brake controller.

slimburns 03-24-2010 09:04 AM

Good point on the trailer brakes that I failed to mention...

GMCSierraFan 03-24-2010 04:27 PM

I'm jumping on the bandwagon with the trailer brakes thing... personally I wouldn't pull the trailer with the 1/2 ton, but that's only because I've gotten used to the Duramax. I know I would never even attempt to pull our horse trailer or the flatbed without the trailer brakes.

jvp 04-04-2010 05:04 PM

Will your truck pull it? Maybe

Will Your Truck Pull It Safely? NO

Don't put your family on the highway in an overload vehicle. Camping is suppose to be an adventure in fun, Not extreme Terror!

I am pulling a 27ft Trailblazer which weighs 6500lbs with a 2005 crew cab, 3.73 gears,
Bilstein HD shocks. As a mod I am using a Superchip for their Tow Mode, I like the way it has changed the transmission shift points, Down side requires 91 oct.

To give you an idea how it pulls the load going over the gravevine in CA. I will drop out of overdrive, just to hold it from wanting to up shift and keep the RPM's at 3500 and the rig will climb this extended grade of 6-7% at 52-55 mph.
On a level road I pull in overdrive set the cruise control at 58 mph and my RPM's will stay under 2000.
Trunk will average between 11.5 - 12+ MPG

I like to travel and camp and have pulled this trailer through National Parks in CA. OR. WA. ID. MT. WY. There's a lot of mountains to climb in this country and this worked fine.
I use an easy-lift system with a sway control, and a Draw-Tite electronic break controller (which works great).

I have not added a cold air induction or modified exhaust, I do not want to listen the the extra noise in the cab on long trips for the (little HP Gains)

While the truck rides will on asphalt roads on the CA. concrete fwys. its a killer on the 20ft. sections.
I am looking at putting Hellwig air bag helpers to try and keep the truck from hitting the overload spring which causes the hard kick-back.

Best advise, There are a lot of nice trailers under 6000lbs and your truck will be able to handle this load.

Another consideration is where do you like to camp, If you get your rig to large you may find that there are not camping sites that will accommodate the larger size.

If you are set on the 9000lb trailer, you really need to up size your truck to a 2500

Good Luck, and Happy Camping

vp

Mr_Shamrock 04-04-2010 06:41 PM

I agree with jvp it will pull it but not comfortably and safely. I got into this a while back and got accused of wanting too much truck to pull a load, but I am guilty of that. To me there is not much worse than climbing a hill and my truck slowing down with the RPM's tached up. Last summer I had a 2000 Suburban 5.3 to pull our 22 foot pontoon. It did it OK and for most would have been fine, but half way through the summer sold it to buy a 1500HD with a 6.0 - it pulled it much better. I have since sold that truck and bought an older Suburban (1997) 2500 with a big block strictly to pull my trailer and boat. This thing doesn't even kick down on most hills around here it just keeps chugging! Now I am comfortable driving. Like already mentioned you will have your family in there so it is good to have more truck than you need for the job. It's not all about the motor either, but the heavier duty transmissions, brakes, cooling system, brakes, did I mention brakes. Trailer brakes are a must as well!!!!

blackrat 04-05-2010 04:31 PM

Thanks for all of the advice guys. We decided against the 5th wheel and bought a travel trailer. it is 7700lbs and 35ft long. Tongue weight is 800lbs. I got a Blue OX hitch system with dual sway bars and a Prodigy tow assit braking unit. I did upgrade the rear shocks to some spring assit tow shocks. I have 3:73 gears, trannie cooler and oversized radiator . Bringing it home last saturday the truck did great. Cruised around 55-60 mph. I would like to get a beformance tune to change my shift points though. jvp, where did you get your chip or reprogrammer??

Thanks
Wade

jvp 04-05-2010 08:15 PM

Wade,
Congratulations on your new trailer.
I got my Superchip Flaspaq on e-bay. The programmer comes with 4 preset modules, Stock 87 oct. minor adj. to timing and AT. Performance 87 oct. a little more aggressive timing and firmer shifts, Performance 91 oct. aggressive timing and stronger shifts, Performance Tow 91 oct. This mode works really well and I like even without the trailer. Have run it in this mode on without the trailer on 87 oct., but not hard shifts really well in the city. I would not do this under a load with 87 oct.

I do not know your maintenance schedule but before you hit the road here are some things to consider.
Change your antifreeze, this will keep everything cooler
Change your Trans fluid, try Amsoil
Change your gear oil I am currently using Amsoil 1qt 90-140 topped off 75-90
Engine oil synthetic 5-30 (Mobil-1 Extended, Amsoil, currently using Castrol Edge) these oils will all run over 7500+ miles between changes. I may appear that they cost a lot more than regular oils until you consider extended miles between changes and the improved friction fighting abalities.
I have 70,000 miles on my truck runs like new and does not burn any oil.
As you can see I am sold on synthetic oils, remember not all synthetic oil is the same only buy the extended versions they have more friction fighting additives.
And when you are pulling everything is under extreme load pressures.
We do not have the largest or strongest rear ends in our trucks give some thought to an aluminum differ that holds extra gear oil keeps the temps down. Hy-tec as well as several other companies make ones that will fit your truck. Do a little shopping on-line for prices.
Another item that is low cost $16+ (@ Oregontransmission.com) corvette servo and 4th gear servo $100 and should be money well spent on a tow vehicle.
I picked up a set of JBA ceramic coated shorties for under $200 new. I will let everyone know how they work once installed (I will keep the stock muffler just because of noise on long trips). Can you hear everyone cringe?
When I get the Hellwig's on I will update as to how they work.

Anyway, Congrats again and many happy camping trips.

vp

jvp 04-05-2010 08:22 PM

Wade,
One more quick thing if you buy a programmer on e-bay make sure it is new has not been installed on another vehicle. This locks the programmer to that VIN number.
Buy from a respectable dealer that has excellent reviews.
The other thing about the Superchip is that you can go on line to their web site and do soft ware upgrades.
I got a really good deal new under $200

Good luck shopping

vp