Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Dakota Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/dodge-dakota-forum-9/)
-   -   95 stalls after 40 minutes (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/dodge-dakota-forum-9/95-stalls-after-40-minutes-15300/)

meps_don@yahoo.com 12-28-2010 05:25 PM

95 stalls after 40 minutes

I'm at my wits end. Truck will run for 40 minutes then sputters and dies. Engine will turn over without problem but there doesn't seem to be any fire. Fuel pump delivering fuel...coild checked and is good...replaced dist. cap and rotor...replaced oxy. sensor. If i wait 4 to 5 hours truck will start again without a problem...but after 40 minutes I'm dead in the water again. VERY open to suggestions. I want to get it running then up for sale!

meps_don@yahoo.com 01-01-2011 07:37 PM

UPDATE: I'm over the edge! Have thrown about $100. in parts trying to fix this (new water pump with fan clutch and thermostat) and the truck ran an hour before it died. this is progress. It is actually getting fire when I tried to restart and does start but dies after 5 seconds. Will let it set over-night and see what happens tomorrow...would welcome ANY ideas on what else I should be checking. Can't afford taking this to a shop.

89newbie 01-04-2011 10:17 AM

Questions, are you getting a check engine light when this happens? Im wondering why you went to coolant system, if you had a coolant leak and the cpu caught it it would go to closed loop and feed you rich fuel mixture. This will sound dumb but look in the tail pipe is it sooty and black?How do you know you have fuel and spark. When you try to restart does it stumble? I wonder if you are loosing f uel pressure. Try this when it stalls turn key off, turn key on listen to see if you can hear fuel pump relay click after about 2 to 5 seconds, you will be able to hear this from cab with door closed, you will never hear if with the door open, buzzer runnin its mouth,its just a small click. repeat this 3-4 times. If you dont hear click leave key on 5 seconds three times. Try to start, if it starts you are loosing pump pressure, could be relay, could be pump, could be fuel pressure regulator, if you have one. If it starts you have a fuel problem. Hope I have helped.

89newbie 01-04-2011 10:30 AM

Another couple of question's. Have you tried starting Fluid? If you do just mist the air cleaner. Don't over do it, not supposed to use this stuff on a fuel rail type injection, but it will tell you right away if its fuel.

2. Have you checked the small wire going to the positive terminal? If this wire has a loose fit it will heat, pull away from the terminal, loosing contact but will appear o.k. (This is the wire that feeds power to the fuel relay, if it is doing this you will loose fuel signal to pump). After the truck sits it will recontact because of expansion and contraction. I found this problem after the NNuts that had my truck installed aftermarket terminal and tried to fit all wires under the contact plate. If this is happening go to Zone or advanced get a new terminal and two copper/brass connectors that lug to the terminal bolts, redo it all.

T.C. 01-08-2011 10:47 PM

Also try the distrib, chec the pcm and a couplle of those hint if all else fails I would go deep into the timing chain, also would like to say hi to 89newbie nice to see a familar face on another forum.

89newbie 01-09-2011 11:24 AM

Right back at ya T.C.! Another thought on the stall. Is it eratic, or just dead poof all at once? I would check fuse links also since this is a time thing. If the connection is bad amps cause heat and a bad connection at the link could be seperating as the wire starts to grow from expansion pulling the thing away and creating an open. Another thing that can cause shut down is map sensor rubber tubing and tap on the throttle body. This is a tiny issue but it is causing a major problem for you.

T.C. 01-10-2011 09:31 AM

I know of another post on a different web site which a guy had almost the same problem. It is on dodge forum and his name is gladiator. It took a month to solve and it was actually the dist which caused it he found that it wobbled 1/8 of a inch to side to side which caused it to stall, backfire, and die when on the highway. Though he under go many of the things that we are listing I adviced you look at his post becuase it is some what useful.

atul1 02-25-2011 05:38 AM

I think you will have to check the key switch first, use voltmeter or test light to ensure that voltage is getting to the coil when key switch is "ON". Or else check the fuel pressure and fuel filter.