Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-150 Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/ford-f-150-forum-16/)
-   -   92 f150 rust bucket need advice (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/ford-f-150-forum-16/92-f150-rust-bucket-need-advice-16280/)

truckrook 04-02-2011 09:37 PM

92 f150 rust bucket need advice

4 Attachment(s)
new user and new to trucks, hello everyone.

I just bought this f150 for 800 bucks I know its rough with all that rust but under the hood is solid and the interior is perfect. Anyone have any advice though on what I can do to prevent further rust and hide/cover the current rust especially around the wheels. This is my first truck and I wanted to get something cheap to haul my boat and go to work with. However if I can make it nicer I would love to do that. If anyone can share advice please do.

GMCSierraFan 04-03-2011 07:29 AM

You could try going with some large fender flares... but I'm not sure what you'd bolt them to

In2Trux 04-03-2011 08:27 AM

Hi Truck Rooky :) Welcome to the Truck Forum.
I bought a Rust Bucket as my first vehicle too. I was even working at a body shop at the time. But I was poor.. Could hardly afford the materials to fix it.
I bought a bucket of fiberglass filler and some 40 grt grinder disc. Filled the holes and made them as smooth as possible. On a moderately warm morning, I got my paint roller out and painted my ride with TremClad paint. Flowed nice didn't dry to fast so it had a nice shine after it was finished.
Looked good

You could probably get away with only painting the lower half and the hood. How old R U??? I was 17 when I bought my first truck. (yes, there was trucks way back then)

truckrook 04-03-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by In2Trux (Post 65993)
Hi Truck Rooky :) Welcome to the Truck Forum.
I bought a Rust Bucket as my first vehicle too. I was even working at a body shop at the time. But I was poor.. Could hardly afford the materials to fix it.
I bought a bucket of fiberglass filler and some 40 grt grinder disc. Filled the holes and made them as smooth as possible. On a moderately warm morning, I got my paint roller out and painted my ride with TremClad paint. Flowed nice didn't dry to fast so it had a nice shine after it was finished.
Looked good

You could probably get away with only painting the lower half and the hood. How old R U??? I was 17 when I bought my first truck. (yes, there was trucks way back then)

Well I'm 29 years lol, this isn't my first vehicle just my first truck. While still having a rather high car payment I didn't want to get into an expensive truck just something that ran solid. I figure I can upgrade in a couple of years. My plan is to find a new bed at a junk yard when one is available but living in ohio with all the salt that is going to be a challenge to find one with minimal rust. I have contemplated getting a welding kit and getting some panels off of a site I found but with having zero welding experience I doubt that would turn out too good LOL.

early93 04-03-2011 11:03 PM

You're gonna need more than a "welding kit" to do that. Gonna need a mig machine, which will cost twice what you payed for the truck unless you've got a buddy that has one. Plus, sheet metal is hard to weld, especially if you don't have any welding experience...just put a flatbed on it and be done with it!

In2Trux 04-04-2011 07:15 PM

I think the truck would look good with the lower half is already black.. Do the body work with fibrerglass filler and cover it with black bed liner. A little crude but it's cheap and gets the job done.