Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-150 Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/ford-f-150-forum-16/)
-   -   To diesel or not to diesel? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/ford-f-150-forum-16/diesel-not-diesel-2267/)

Jack Bauer 12-29-2006 01:33 PM

To diesel or not to diesel?

Just found this place and was hoping to get some info to help me make a better decision. I've owned mostly Chevy trucks, my last one being a 2003 Z71 with a 6" Fabtech and 35's. I no longer have it and am looking at buying a used (couple years old) truck.
I have been looking at the '04 and up F150 super crews and the '03 and up F250 super crew diesels. I like the look of the F250 better and will likely get either with a lift. My wife and I do some camping and minor off road stuff and we plan to buy a boat sometime over the next 3 years. Other than that the truck will not be pulling loads much.

The reason I am considering a diesel is mostly long engine life and for when the boat is begin pulled. We'd like to start a family soon and are aiming at getting something that will last a while. I also noticed that diesel fuel is about 10-15ยข more than supreme so I am going back and forth from diesel to gas.
Any info would be appreciated!

under construction 12-29-2006 01:52 PM

RE: To diesel or not to diesel?

Well this is my own opinion...If you want something that would last a long while, honistly i have seen more older chevy diesels on the road today than any other truck.Which gives me the idea that a chevy diesel would last longer than a ford diesel. And in my opinion, i think gas would be a better way to go because, its alot more convenient and easier on your wallet. If your on the road and you notice out of the blue that you need gas ASAP, your going to find a regular gas station faster than your going to finda diesel station. Diesel is good if your going to tow things too, but a 5.7 or whatever a ford has under its hood, should tow a boat just fine. Well, this was all my own opinion, so i hope it helped a little....

Jack Bauer 12-29-2006 02:13 PM

I've always liked the Chevy's but the full size 4 door looks better on the Fords IMO. You are very right about the gas and as I said above I noticed the high $$ for diesel this morning when I was filling up.
I suppose with a lift they will both get relatively poor mileage anyways but again I've heard so many "diesel engines will go 300-500k" when I know gas will usually need some major work before hitting 300k so I'm on the fence.

under construction 12-29-2006 02:24 PM

Yea, like i said, all the ones i have seen have been chevy diesel and they run far passed 300k. But at the same time, what your traiding in maintenance your putting into gas. If you put .15 cents for ever gallon away, within a few years i think it may pay for your maintenance bill on the engine. When do you really start to worry about engine problems, about 100k? Mine has well over 200k and ive only dont minor thing to it myself. So really, it is a hard decision, because you can go either direction.

03TEXASEDITION 01-05-2007 03:11 PM

Jack I would go with the diesel. But get a 4x4 if you do they are to heavy to go off roading without it. I have seen to many get stuck to not tell you that. My grandpa owns a 2004 dodge 2500, I talked him into putting a chip in it and he loves it. He gets better gas mileage than I do even before he put the chip in it. so mileage and price is not your problem. All the new diesels get better gas mileage than a gas truck so don't look at it as to how much it cost to fill up your tank but how far you go on that tank.As for the towing capacity just get a 5.7 it should pull a boat and anything else no problem. I've pulled a 32ft boat with no problem and I only have a 5.3. The 02-05's are all nice trucks so which ever make or model would be a good price. However I have noticed that the Dodge's are the most affordable in price.

My coworker used to sell cars and he said that everyone is switching to cars and vehicles that get good gas mileage so you should be able to talk the sales man way down from his asking price.If he doesn't get it down walk out and go somewhere else. If he really wants to help he will come get you.

matthewcschlegel@yah 01-07-2007 12:38 AM

imo i would get a diesel because even though diesel is more costly but you get twice the gas milage with a diesel because in adiesel the injectors drip fuel as the engine calls for it as opposed to a gas engine that constantly sprays fuel. Diesel burns cleaner and has a lot more power plenty to tow a boat/trailer.

ccm1192 10-13-2008 03:52 PM

I actually was sitting in a class today and was doing the fuel price calculation. I compared a two 20 gallon tanks, one diesel and one gas. The diesel on average gets 6-8 more mpg. I took the current price of Fuel in our area (3.12 for gas and 3.79 for diesel) and found that you would travel almost 100 miles further than with a gas. To sum it all up, by buying diesel, you will save around $25 per fill up...... Just my two cents.