Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-150 Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/ford-f-150-forum-16/)
-   -   Power steering vs. Mechanical F-150 (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/ford-f-150-forum-16/power-steering-vs-mechanical-f-150-a-19441/)

David S 02-16-2013 09:52 PM

Power steering vs. Mechanical F-150

First time to replace the Power Steering Pump in my 1992 F-150 4x4 5.0 engine, std. cab, long bed. Have to stand on a block to reach down-down-down into guts of motor compartment to get to this dirty unit. Yeh, I should have steam cleaned that area, :( Found out I need to purge the fluid for air bubbles and trash. Got a loaner kit from Auto Advantage, interesting, to do that job tomorrow.
Back to subject, seems like mechanical steering was a lot easier to work on, huh. I remember those olden days w/o po steering we didn't seem to mind it, but now we/I am spoiled with power, huh. Does anyone know....
Can a mechanical unit be installed in my type of vehicle????

David S

RustyFordLover 02-17-2013 05:13 PM

All you would have to do, is pull the belt off of the power steering pump, and there you go. No power steering. I have done this to a few trucks where the pump goes out, and I'm either too lazy or too broke to fix it.

In2Trux 02-17-2013 05:53 PM

I doubt if Ford had the option of Non power steering. :) it pretty much standard on all trucks now

But you could probably find a auto wrecker that might have a vehicle in their yard with a standard steering box that you could adapt to your 92 truck.

Sound like more work then it worth

Diesel Dan 02-18-2013 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by RustyFordLover (Post 79517)
All you would have to do, is pull the belt off of the power steering pump, and there you go. No power steering. I have done this to a few trucks where the pump goes out, and I'm either too lazy or too broke to fix it.

Not the same, I had to cut the belts off in the past as well.
The manual gear boxes have a higher reduction rate than the p/s boxes. On a full sized truck I'd never go back to manual steering by choice.

In2Trux 02-18-2013 09:39 AM

A manual steer truck from the factory will have different steering alignment geometry then a truck with power steering,

David S 02-19-2013 02:05 AM

Power steering vs mec.

Thanks guys, I could not get the loaner kit to work with my 1992 PS pump, it is so low it almost sets on the frame cross member. I took the loaner kit back to Advanced Auto Parts for some tech help and the nice young man says "well this kit is mainly for bleeding BRAKE systems", DUH :( I said, "Well you gave me the wrong kind of kit"! :mad: So he gets out a repair manual and reads the instructions , "fill the reservoir, turn on engine, turn steering wheel full rt and lft 2 - 3 times to get air bubbles out, check res. add fluid if needed." Note nothing about bleeding the PS pump I should have read my manual to start with. :o

David S 02-19-2013 02:23 AM

Power steering pump was not the Problem

Steering started to freeze up when I turned wheel to the right but easy turning left while vehicle not moving but would ease up when moving, but after a week it got so bad I had to park it. After installing the pump etc...I turned the steering wheel back and forth about 2 times was OK then a loud bam noise and back to froze up. Now supposedly the gear box needs replacing, now I will read my manual. Also wondering if a ball joint has froze up for lack of lube? :o
So now I have a new pump made in CHINA- I HATE IT!!!!

David S

In2Trux 02-19-2013 08:12 AM

I can tell ya... a dry, un-lubricated ball joint won't lock up. It will just squeak.

Diesel Dan 02-19-2013 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by In2Trux (Post 79549)
I can tell ya... a dry, un-lubricated ball joint won't lock up. It will just squeak.

Yes they will.
We had a brand new Tahoe in the shop for no power steering assist.
It was the the ball joints causing the issue.

Same with u-joints.
A front axle shaft u-joint can seize up causing steering issues.
Had a seizing joint on a Dana 60 cause intermittent death wobble.

In2Trux 02-19-2013 09:01 AM

I can honestly say I have NEVER heard of a ball joint seizing up.
I could see a U joint or CV joint seizing up intermittently until it grenades.

BUT this is why I'm still hear and enjoy this forum. You learn something every day.
I'd love to learn more about a Ball Joint seizing
AS LONG AS DAVID DOESN'T MIND LEARNING MORE.
I don't want to HIGH JACK his thread