Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-150 Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/ford-f-150-forum-16/)
-   -   Who really has the longest lasting truck? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/ford-f-150-forum-16/who-really-has-longest-lasting-truck-8081/)

Worf 11-20-2010 05:21 PM

I would have to agree that the longest lasting truck is the person who takes the best care of it

hairtrigger6 11-29-2010 09:42 AM

Put. Cummins in a Ford truck with an lesson trans and u will have the best truck on the road. But if u combine Chevy and gmc into the same category they have the most per year of older trucks but Ford outsells Chevy also for the same reason gmc and Chevy are 2 did brands but if combined they would outset Ford. If u want a half ton truck that will last a long time get a Ford with a 5.4 and a towing package or a Chevy with a 5300 and tow package both are well known for longevity of service as long as maintenance is KEPT UP!!!!!! just my .02

hairtrigger6 11-29-2010 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Worf (Post 61484)
I would have to agree that the longest lasting truck is the person who takes the best care of it

And the person that is willing to sink the money in it. That old adage of its not worth it is bs. If its in decent shape and u want to keep it that way and want it to last then its worth it. Cars are not an investment. Thy are a money pit. Most of the time unless u are a guy like me that can hustle you will never get back out of it what u put in.

Worf 01-20-2011 08:12 AM

well said

honestblades 02-22-2011 09:05 AM

Although I drive a chevy truck on a daily basis to pull my landscaping equipment,I am going to have to say that ford has the best truck. Ofcourse how you maintain a vehicle plays a factor,but my father has a 99 f 150 with the 5.4l triton. He in no way shape or form maintains it as he should. He might change the oil in it every 5-7k miles,but the truck is driven daily and it has 257k miles on it. Original motor,original transmission. The only issue he has had is a couple of coil packs going bad. On the other hand I drive a chevy that just hit 139k miles on it the other day. I do all of the routine maintenance,and I don't beat up on the truck,yet I have had to make several repairs on it. I'm going to say that ford has the best truck,but that's just my .02. Not to mention that very few fords come into the shop for major repairs.

Mr_Shamrock 02-22-2011 09:53 AM

I have to agree with - it depends on how they are maintained. Some drive them till they stop while others (like myself) strongly believe in preventative maintenance. I keep my eyes and ears open everytime I drive my trucks and usually will be given a sign before something totally fails. My fluids are checked at least every other weekend as well. I have worked on just about all of them and personally prefer working on GM full size trucks and prefer the way they ride & handle - that is why I drive them.

95351boss 02-27-2011 10:27 AM

95 f150 351 one right here she has 189*** miles on it and runs better then my friends o7 dodge and my buddys o9 chevy she is quit when running well except the dual exaust ......i dont care what anyone says naturaly asperated motor wise ford is great example the 300 straight six i have had 2 of them one of them had 400 t thousand miles on it and only thing worng with it was a fuel line love my fords and ill always stand by them

dwrestle 03-22-2011 11:02 PM

The way I see it it's all about matinance, and luck of the draw. Some people can have trucks last forever with no problems, and even less matinance. Some people can take good care of their vehicles, and still something major break down.

All the trucks are pretty good all rounders, but here is how I see it.
Ford: Better, and more reliable for work, and towing. They usually last forever, and are almost never babied by their owners. There are many old Fords on the road, but most of them are in original beat up unrestored shape.

Chevy: More car like, and usually has the best power for going fast, but not towing. They last a long time, and their owners usually customize, and baby them more than most. There are many old Chevys on the road, and there are just as many rescued from the rust and junk yard as there are original unrestored(rusty).

Dodge: Usually a mix of Chevy, and Ford but can be more mechanically problematic than either(still reliable though). Not nearly as common as Ford, or Chevy. They have a mix of owners some treat them similar as most Chevy owners and customize them, and some work them as hard as any Ford owner would.

Toyota: Great reliability on older models, and I don't believe that the newer ones live up to the legend. They actually rust out worse than Chevys do, which is not easy to do. Overall very tough trucks known for relaibility, and off road capability. I wouldn't mind owning a newer one, but the old ones are so much better(80's models like the Back to the Future Toyota).

Nissan: The "under the radar Toyota" without the major rust problems. Even more rare than Toyota, or Dodge. Very reliable and tough trucks.

Thats the way I see the brands, and they are all good. I would own either one, and be proud of it. I do disagree that Chevy is the longest lasting truck though. Mainly because I believe GM's basis to the claim that there are more old Chevy trucks on the road than Ford, is not taking into account the number of Chevys that have been rebuilt, and restored which in my area alone is huge amount especially 73-87 models(which you can hear rusting on cold winter nights). Most of those trucks had already been rusted out(probably still running though), and in the junk yard(barn/backyard). Just my opinion.

GMC2011 04-08-2011 09:26 PM

Im a GM guy and just sold my 2000 Sierra with 155k miles and never had problems...BUT, my dad has a 1999 F150 that he tAkes on construction sites that has just shy of 350,000 on it and never had any problems...that truck refuses to die!

In2Trux 04-09-2011 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Worf (Post 61484)

I agree hole heartedly
The longest lasting truck depends on the owner's care and love for that truck.
Too many times that truck will fall victim to being traded for that Newer, younger model. Consequently being handed down or traded to somebody that won't give it that special care it needs to last a long time.

I still have my 57 Chevy Panel Van. And it is still as solid as a rock.