Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Ford Heavy Duty (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/ford-heavy-duty-101/)
-   -   Looking to buy a F250 - Have some Questions (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/ford-heavy-duty-101/looking-buy-f250-have-some-questions-12622/)

Jasontamu 01-20-2010 07:02 AM

Looking to buy a F250 - Have some Questions

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase an F250. Ill use it as a daily driver since i only work 8 miles away from home and it will be a weekend tow rig for my 18foot car trailer.

I have some questions for the expert owners who have learned all the quirks and in's and out's of the F250 platform.

Wants:
1. year model of 2003-2007 or so, not much older.
2. Four full door model.
3. short bed
4. 4x4 but last on list.

Questions:
1. Since I'm daily driving i was wanting to stick to gas over diesel, however if the diesel platforms are way more reliable then i wouldn't let it detour me at all in buying otherwise.
I did notice they offered the:
5.4 V8 - is that too under powered? I would be towing 5k lbs.
6.8 V10 - too much a gas guzzler?
6.0 V8 Diesel - Tell me more please? turbo seals go out, etc>?
7.3 V8 Diesel - Tell me more please? turbo seals go out, etc>?

2. What are the quirks and known issues to deal with in the F250. Failure of what key components along with minor ones, radio, etc..

3. due to towing, does the F250 come with a separate auto tranny oil cooler? or is it merged with with radiator.

any and all help is appreciated.....thanks so much..

if need be i wouldn't mind calling and talking to an expert owner on my dime....thanks

-J

bradsharp 01-24-2010 06:40 PM

Well I know the 6.8L V10 is very powerfull. I know a guy with one (99' F250 SD Lariat) and he pulls a fifth wheel trailer alot. I know he pulled it from Indiana to Missouri and back without a single problem. I have driven it a few times and it is really nice. As far as gas millage I think he gets around 10 - 12 MPG's, though with a newer truck they may be slightly more fuel efficent. Well best of luck to your truck shopping.

Jasontamu 01-25-2010 07:20 AM

thanks man.........great info...anyone else with these models that can chime in?

thanks,
J

cml253 02-02-2010 11:19 AM

Watch the model year, Ford has a defect in all their triton V8s with the spark plugs sptitting out of the head I believe it was from 99 - 04. It happened to my 02. For more info Google Ford spark plug blow out.

Jasontamu 02-02-2010 11:22 AM

Thanks for that bit of information.........

im gonna google it to see what the fix was for them back then.......ill keep an eye out for that...thanks..
-J

bradsharp 02-03-2010 11:25 AM

Is that for the V8's only? Or does that include the V10's as well? Even with the spark plug problem you could go with a diesel and not have to worry about that problem. Also this is just my opinion but, the 5.4L may not put out the power you need for an eighteen foot trailer. If you want one of the smaller engines the 6.0L diesel may be your best fit, decent fuel millage yet still powerfull for your trailer. But like I said, that is just my opinion.

Jasontamu 02-03-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by bradsharp (Post 53407)
Is that for the V8's only? Or does that include the V10's as well? Even with the spark plug problem you could go with a diesel and not have to worry about that problem. Also this is just my opinion but, the 5.4L may not put out the power you need for an eighteen foot trailer. If you want one of the smaller engines the 6.0L diesel may be your best fit, decent fuel millage yet still powerfull for your trailer. But like I said, that is just my opinion.

HI, thanks,

yes im beginning to think the smaller diesel would be a better fit....I dont drive far to work and back, so it wont break the bank. and when i tow i tow an 18foot trailer with a car that weights in at about 3400 lbs and gear......total tow load is about 5000 lb.

I know thats not a whole lot but i want to be able to do it with ease....

thanks guys, keep the info coming...
-J

7.3monster 02-14-2010 08:45 PM

well im no expert, but i know a few things here and there with the diesel platform of the 250.

i have a 2000 with the 7.3 in it, and as far as fuel milage goes i can get about 18-20 depending on my driving habits, and my daily commutes include school, and work which are about 5 miles away from where i live. i make and ocassional 30mi trip further north for some extra classes.

i snow plow, and tow a 16ft trailer loaded down with a case 1840, and still get great milage on the high way and in town.

if go with a diesel model of the 250 i suggest finding one from 2000-02 and stay away from the 6.0l. the first generations of the 6.0l have a few major problems, with the high pressure oil pump and injectors. and problems with the turbo also. and if any one of those goes bad, your lookin at least 1-5 grand of repairs depending on severity. the reason why the first generations were soo problematic was because ford was rushing to compete with chevy, because the epa told them the 7.3 wasnt good for the environment(which is bull). but by 2006 and 2007 those problems were fixed and there are many aftermarket produts you can buy to fix those problems.

and if youve got the money to buy the newer 6.4 go for it, its a better engine then the 6.0, but in my mind and many older ford owners, not as good as the 7.3.

now if you look at the older 7.3 from 1999 to early 2003 ( the 03 are hard to come by, because thats when ford made the engine swap) and you get scared by miles dont freak out just yet, because diesel engines are made to handle those high miles. so a truck with up 150k is still a good truck. anything under that is even better. but the prices are still high on these trucks even though they are used. i wouldnt really look at the older 7.3 from 94-97 because those have alot of mechanical parts to them, and youll probablly have a few more issues with them then you would with the newer 7.3

if you have any questions pm me and ill try to help you out some
hope this was helpful

Jasontamu 02-15-2010 07:01 AM

7.3 MONSTER:

Awesome man, great info!....I really appreciate you taking the time to give me that insight!

I am looking for a F250 in the year range of 2000-2005............and for the most part I have noticed a bunch of 2002-2004 models in my range.

Looking to spend about 10-13K range ultimately as i have seen F250's in that range with all the options I am wanting and about 125K miles max range.

I will say i also agree with a lot of what you wrote about the early 6.0L, as ironically this weekend i spoke with two F250 6.0L owners, (early years mentioned 2002's) and both said literally the same review you gave even with the mention of the repairs and price range you describe.

I am going to pm you as well.........would love to ask you a few more questions..

-J