Ford Ranger/ Mazda B-Series Discuss the Ford Ranger and it's sister, the Mazda B-series here.

LED Headlight Coversion - Experiences & Suggestions

Old 01-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Beginner
Default LED Headlight Coversion - Experiences & Suggestions

I've got a 1997 Mazda B-4000 2WD Extra Cab (98k Miles) and it seems like everyone on the roads have brighter headlights than my sweet truck. My headlight glass is still pretty clear, not sure if it can be polished like the lexan headlights found on all cars these days. It's really the stock 9007 55/65 watt Halogens are just too weak and when I've bought higher wattage Halogens I've noticed the wiring/plugs gets noticeably hot and the Halogens don't last as long as the stock lower wattage. I'm assuming that Ford just (barely) designed the wiring, plugs and circuitry for a max 65w lamp system?

There are a lot LED Headlight "Upgrade Kits' from more brands I've never heard of and a few like Phillips that are known brands on EBay, Amazon, etc. Many have suspect "compatibility" listings with Ranger / B-Series trucks, all the listings fall short on explaining how to do them and are they complete kits with all the parts and electronics needed.

So let me through this out in the Forum of Experts on Ford Rangers and bastard brother Mazda B-Series modes -
1) do they work and are they worth the conversion?
2) are they noticeably brighter and well aimed down the road?
3) which ones are recommended?
4) what components are needed (for the full conversion) and how to best do the conversion?
5) lastly can the stock Ranger / B-Series electronics handle the upgrade (wattage) or is some upgrade there needed?

Now some might say, just get a bumper / grill / roof mounted LED light bar! Yeah, except all the "harmless" Illegal immigrants and usual suspects here in California will steal them off your truck the minute you leave it unattended for 20 minutes in your driveway or store parking lots.

Thanks for the expertise, truckers....

Last edited by cobrajocky; 01-01-2018 at 01:46 PM.