Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   General Motors Tech (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/general-motors-tech-37/)
-   -   05 chevy 3/4 ton 5 speed standard msking noise transmission noise (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/general-motors-tech-37/05-chevy-3-4-ton-5-speed-standard-msking-noise-transmission-noise-15966/)

05 chevy 2500hd 02-28-2011 03:43 PM

05 chevy 3/4 ton 5 speed standard msking noise transmission noise

It 05 2500 hd 4x4 with 5 speed. I believe mv4500 trnny. Truck making clunking noise between every gear. I hd it looked at and was told it was slack in the chain in the transfer case. it definitely something toward the rear of the truck like anywere from transfercase back. I crawled under it the othr day and u joints re tight and there no slop in the rearend. Now on the drive shaft were it slides in tail shaft of the transfer case it has about 1/8 inch play in it. I was wondering if this could b wat the noise is. It does it wen u push clutch in and or let it out. Trucks 102000 on it

GM Customer Service 03-01-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 05 chevy 2500hd (Post 64834)
It 05 2500 hd 4x4 with 5 speed. I believe mv4500 trnny. Truck making clunking noise between every gear. I hd it looked at and was told it was slack in the chain in the transfer case. it definitely something toward the rear of the truck like anywere from transfercase back. I crawled under it the othr day and u joints re tight and there no slop in the rearend. Now on the drive shaft were it slides in tail shaft of the transfer case it has about 1/8 inch play in it. I was wondering if this could b wat the noise is. It does it wen u push clutch in and or let it out. Trucks 102000 on it

Have you spoken to your local dealership? There are many benefits to taking a vehicle to your local dealership. You can guarantee that technicians are ASC certified and that the parts come with a GM parts warranty. For these reasons, I would recommend taking the vehicle to your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. I can also look into this issue further. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage, I will be able to take further steps. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

early93 04-03-2011 10:29 PM

You said it makes the sound when you push the clutch in and let it out? That sounds like a throwout bearing issue. Might need to be replaced

Silverick 04-03-2011 11:50 PM

Don't know if this is the same problem but, on my 2007 Silverado, it would clunk any time that I stopped or when the load on the driveshaft would reverse or load/unload. I took it to the dealer, twice, and the second time, they removed the driveshaft and lubed the splines on the front yoke that connect with the transmission splines. This fixed it and I never had this problem again. I know someone with a Tahoe and another Silverado, that had the same problem. It's worth a shot.