General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

1998 GMC sierra starts then dies

Old 06-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Beginner
Question 1998 GMC sierra starts then dies

Hello everyone my name is Dennis and I am a new guy on the block, I have 4 GM trucks and they are all in good running order except my 1998 sierra which I just bought last month. I was told it would not start because of the passlock system. When I put a code scanner on it I get no codes. Being familiar with GM vehicles I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump because it still had the original pump and I replaced the distributor cap and rotor and replaced the fuel injection system and seals because they both were in poor condition. I have done at fuel test(65 lbs) and a compression test (150 lbs) on all cylinders. I have tried the reset start sequence and still get no start. According to the owners manual all you have to do to reset the theft deterrent system is just turn the truck off and restart a the theft deterrent system will reset.I have checked several of the sensors and even replace a couple and still have the same problem. I do home improvements for a living. So I know that some problems are just something that is a problem that just overlooked and can be easily fixed with the right point in the right direction and I know that a problem can be one that is a common one. I have been reading your forum since I bought this truck and I know from what I have read from other threads on this forum I am certain that some of you can help me. I have read several problem that I have experienced myself and know how to fix. I would be greatly appreciated for your help,

Old 04-01-2018, 03:43 PM
Beginner
Default 98 gmc starts then dies

After exhaustive testing and researching the truck startup issue. I have no direct answer. After pulling the underhood fuse box apart and checking all the wires the truck did start. Running fine now. If it does it again which it likely will especially if I pressure wash it, I will get back on here. Until then thanks and good luck.