Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   General Motors Tech (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/general-motors-tech-37/)
-   -   95 z71 stalling. (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/general-motors-tech-37/95-z71-stalling-18039/)

ChevyIsTheBest 12-15-2011 12:07 AM

95 z71 stalling.

My name is James and i'm new to the forum. I have a 95 chevy Z71 5.7L 350 TBI with a carb. I was a stop sing the other day had it in 3rd and when to hit the gas and it stalled completely out. I put it in park had to hold my foot down on the gas to get it to crank. It idled fine went to hit the gas again and it tried to stall. So I quickly put my foot on the brake and held it at 1000 rpms. Had to hold the bake and gas to get it to take off. On the way home the rpms where dropping and popping back up like it was trying to stall. So I stopped at the gas station and put some more ethanol free gas and a can of seafoam in it. It did fine the rest of the way home. 15 minutes later went to leave my house it went dead again when i hit the gas. took it to my mechanic he could not get it to mess up. Hes is not sure until it does it to him but he is leaning towards the distributor. had the fuel pump and filter replaced a month ago. So.... Any advice would help.

Mr_Shamrock 12-15-2011 07:51 AM

Did your mechanic check the fuel pressure? The fact that putting gas in it helped leads to a possible pump issue. I have found, especially these days, just because a part is new does not necessarily mean it is good. Beyond a pump I would look at the ignition control module in the distributor or the temperature sensor next to the thermostat housing these are known to go bad on. Also before buying anything make sure your battery cables are tight and the ground wires going to the bolts on the thermostat housing aren't broken or corroded.

ChevyIsTheBest 12-15-2011 11:42 PM

Yes, he checked the fuel pressure and said it was holding 40 something psi. He said if the pump was bad it should not be holding that good of pressure.I dropped it off to him about a week ago and he has not been able to get it to mess up yet. But when my fuel pump was going out about a month ago he could not get it to mess up for the longest so... I will check the battery cables next. Thank you for the advice.

Mr_Shamrock 12-16-2011 07:01 AM

40 PSI on a TBI truck is way too much. What kind of pump did you put in it? You should be in the 9-15 PSI range. Maybe your fuel pressure regulator is bad.

ChevyIsTheBest 12-20-2011 01:28 AM

Yeah sorry man have not had time to get on here in a few days. My bad I meant to say 14 psi not 40. And not sure what kind of fuel pump. I got the truck back yesterday from him and he could never get it to mess up on him. The whole 2 weeks he had it. So he told me to drive it until it does it again. He said it may be the pick up coil in the distributor. but he does not want to replace that until he is sure that's the problem.