General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

Engine backfired won't start

Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Default Engine backfired won't start

1989 Chevy pickup was running great went up a hill started sputtering and backfired. Engine quit, cranked it over and backfired again and still no start. Checked all fuses everthing looks good. With the backfiring I suspect ignition problems but I haven't had a chance to check for spark or fuel yet. The rig has 144,000 miles on it just tuned it up with spark plug wires,cap,rotor, and fuel filter and exhaust. Everthing has been working great until now. Any ideas?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 PM

it sounds like my 94 chev, it started sputtering and surgeing and then finally quit running all together. it turned out to be the module in the distributor. easy fix, cost about 40 buks. let us know what yu find.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Default ignition module

Checked the coil thought it was bad so I replaced it. Cost 21.00 at local Napa store. Bought an ignition module at Schucks for 35.43 and put it in. It fired up immediately. Pretty easy install just had to take the cap off and remove 2 screws and the pickup coil plug. Just wanted everyone to know what to look for if you have the same problem.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Thanks for posting your results - I have had one go out before too. Absolutely no warning and bam your stuck. Glad you got it worked out!

Old 05-23-2017, 08:49 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by sweetwater
1989 Chevy pickup was running great went up a hill started sputtering and backfired. Engine quit, cranked it over and backfired again and still no start. Checked all fuses everthing looks good. With the backfiring I suspect ignition problems but I haven't had a chance to check for spark or fuel yet. The rig has 144,000 miles on it just tuned it up with spark plug wires,cap,rotor, and fuel filter and exhaust. Everthing has been working great until now. Any ideas?
My truck was doing the same thing. It would act like it would die than it would kick back up. Yesterday I was driving heard a back fire it almost quit running and kicked backed up again. I was almost home and it back fired again than died. Now it won't start. Should I try the ignition module first or or other things first?
Originally Posted by sweetwater
Checked the coil thought it was bad so I replaced it. Cost 21.00 at local Napa store. Bought an ignition module at Schucks for 35.43 and put it in. It fired up immediately. Pretty easy install just had to take the cap off and remove 2 screws and the pickup coil plug. Just wanted everyone to know what to look for if you have the same problem.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 AM
Beginner

Engine is rebuilt with 5000 miles on it at most. I have new distributor cap I have all new plugs and plug wires.

Originally Posted by Rjklassen20
My truck was doing the same thing. It would act like it would die than it would kick back up. Yesterday I was driving heard a back fire it almost quit running and kicked backed up again. I was almost home and it back fired again than died. Now it won't start. Should I try the ignition module first or or other things first?