Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   General Motors Tech (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/general-motors-tech-37/)
-   -   Cold Air Intake & Gas Milage (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/general-motors-tech-37/cold-air-intake-gas-milage-3342/)

ShawTownSpecial939 06-04-2007 06:21 PM

Cold Air Intake & Gas Milage

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado and i get like 14 MPG and ive heard both sides...cold air kits are a waste....no they help....no they make it worse. I dont know what to believe. And the kit i was looking to buy was the Volant Cold Air Intake, the AEM Brute Force Intake w/ Dry flow filter, or K&N. which one would be better if it helps MPG at all.

thanks,
Joe

withac 01-13-2008 04:28 PM

RE: Cold Air Intake & Gas Milage

I can't speak to the Chevy but I put an AirRaid CAI on my 2K Durango (was totaled last month, replaced with a 2K Tahoe). I got a 2 mpg boost and could notice a little better throttle response.

rjdoolay 01-23-2008 02:23 PM

Both my 97 and 04 silverado responded really well to the CAI. I would say the 97 had to best gains. Still a noticable difference on the 04 as well. I would say go for it.

popo 01-26-2008 12:46 AM

I just built one in the silverado thread and am currently testing. i will let you know the mileage results as soon as i burn through a tank.

knoxy 02-05-2008 11:06 AM

i put mine on this week.
the 77 series K&N
there is a noticable difference in power and sound... but as for gas milage... i will get back to you!

knoxy 02-13-2008 01:15 PM

okay so im back to report. i have had the CAI for about a week and a half now:
the noticable gains are:
huge top end difference.
sound is alot throatier and louder!
the sound when you hammer on the gas is sooooooo awesome! it just puts a huge grin on my face every time...

as for MPG:
on highway doing 115 KM/hr- 120 km/hr i was getting any where from 14-16 MPG
now .... im usually not under 17 MPG at that speed Range... most of the time im getting 20+ in the lower ranges.
if your looking MPG, its minor, but noticable in the long run. GO FOR IT!!!!!!

BTW i have the 77 series by K&N

98GMC350 02-18-2008 01:37 PM

If you don't mind me askin, how much did you pay for the 77 series?

TruckTrainHorns.com 02-18-2008 07:32 PM

I'd go with K&N

abrichford 02-28-2008 11:49 AM

I have the K&N on my truck, and to tell you the truth, i only saw about 1 MPG, I have had it on for about 2 months or so now. but i like the sound and extra power it gives. If you combine an intake and exhaust, now your talking, thats where youll see better gas mileage garunteed. More air in+More air out= Better MPG. Period. No matter what n e one tells you, it all depends on how you drive.