General Truck Tech Do you have a question that doesnt apply to a certain make or model, ask it here!

Cold weather considerations

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Default Cold weather considerations

I plan on moving to Seattle after my enlistment ends (little over a year). My in-laws tell me the winter months can get bitter cold and a bit snowy otherwise it is raining. If that is the case, are there any things I should steer away from or look for?

I'm thinking 4x4 would be useful for the extra powered traction, but I have very limited experience driving in cold conditions. I mean, it snows/ice's here in Texas, but it only lasts a couple weeks. One of my co-workers grew up in Michigan and tells me a diesel engine can be problematic in cold weather (hard to start, have to let it warm up, and gelling of fuel, etc).

I'm interested in a compact pickup, or maybe something like a short-bed F150, which limits my options when it comes to power-train. Would anyone be able to offer a checklist of items to look for?

-Steve

Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I am far from a cold weather expert, but I would agree with your friend about the diesel thing - if you have to have it you can always get a block heater. You are looking at a compact or an F-150 so there really isn't a diesel option anyway. Four wheel drive would definitely come in handy besides that just make sure it is maintained - especially the cooling system. Cold weather can be harder on batteries too so make sure yours it up to par. This is all after you decide on a particular truck though. One thing you may want to look into is what Seattle uses on their roads and if it is still salt you may want to find your truck in Texas and get the frame treated to withstand that stuff. I don't have any recommendations in that category as we don't salt our roads here. Good luck!

Old 12-11-2011, 11:45 AM

It appears that Seattle uses sand on its roads... Wierd. They have a strict "no salt" policy due to environmental concerns. Guess 4x4 it is... Aside from listening to the CV-joints for noise, what else should I look/listen for with 4x4s?