Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   General Truck Tech (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/general-truck-tech-42/)
-   -   Engine Break (Jake Break) (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/general-truck-tech-42/engine-break-jake-break-18441/)

dragonfly 03-04-2012 02:49 PM

Engine Break (Jake Break)

New guy to the Forum.
I'm a DYI guy and would like to build an engine break for my '69 Chey C20 with a Perkins straight 6 354 ci. mated to a Fuller 10 speed manual trans. Any plans, list of components, info would be appreciated or a used unit.

Diesel Dan 04-01-2012 07:36 PM

To clarify you are going to need an exhaust brake not a compression release brake--aka "Jake".

Best I can say is google Diesel exhaust brake and contact some of the manufacturers/dealers and work with one of them. This will be a custom install.

Is your Perkins a turbo or n/a model?

Ice_at_heart 04-02-2012 12:52 PM

Just downshift, you're in a manual already....

dragonfly 04-02-2012 02:06 PM

An exhaust break is what I'm looking to build. I've seen several examples of manufactured item. Still looking for plans or parts. Making a unit isn't going to be difficult, but I'd like to avoid the trial and error mode. The main reason for installing the break is to take the pressure off the truck breaks descend the long grades. I will be pulling a 34' fifth wheel, 10K lbs. and truck wt. at 7K. Going down a 6% grade is no place to downshift, IMHO. Thanks everyone for the input.

Originally Posted by Ice_at_heart (Post 75583)
Just downshift, you're in a manual already....

Diesel Dan 04-02-2012 10:37 PM

Does it have a turbo?
If so try and match up the outlet to one from a 5.9L Cummins. Basically the same displacement. If it is not a turbo get turbo from a '89-91 CTD that was non-intercooled. You might have to step up the exhaust spring rate for heavy exhaust brake use, that was an issue on the 12V CTD.

How 'bout some pics of the swap?

dragonfly 04-03-2012 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info. Yes, it does have a turbo. I'm computer challenged about Photobucket, but will try to get some photo posted.

Originally Posted by Diesel Dan (Post 75601)
Does it have a turbo?
If so try and match up the outlet to one from a 5.9L Cummins. Basically the same displacement. If it is not a turbo get turbo from a '89-91 CTD that was non-intercooled. You might have to step up the exhaust spring rate for heavy exhaust brake use, that was an issue on the 12V CTD.

How 'bout some pics of the swap?

dragonfly 08-08-2012 01:39 PM

My first attempt at posting pics. Pictures by dragonflypro - Photobucket
Purchased a used PacBreake exhaust break that came off a FreightLiner. Reducer pipes, electri to vac solenoids also ordered.

Diesel Dan 08-09-2012 08:07 AM

Did a good job on the pictures.
Nice work on the project truck too. Belts look nice and straight, pyro in good location. What did the intercooler come from?

Limiting factor on a Perkins appears to be the lack of a cross flow head.

Keep up the good work!

dragonfly 08-11-2012 01:16 AM

It is a custom built intercooler.

Originally Posted by Diesel Dan (Post 77054)
Did a good job on the pictures.
Nice work on the project truck too. Belts look nice and straight, pyro in good location. What did the intercooler come from?

Limiting factor on a Perkins appears to be the lack of a cross flow head.

Keep up the good work!