Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   Looking at trucks, not sure what to get? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/new-member-area-4/looking-trucks-not-sure-what-get-12448/)

arbongard 01-03-2010 09:32 AM

Looking at trucks, not sure what to get?

I am new to trucks! I am looking at buying a truck and not sure what to get.

here are a list of things that I would like to do if I got a truck:
Use it for hauling around my toys (4 wheeler, crotch rocket, and for hauling random stuff) also would like to lift and put bigger tires on it for the occasional off road session. I also live in small town Minnesota. I would like some that if I went into the ditch (during the winter) I would be able to drive right out or in other words something that would handle well in snowy/icy conditions. Also something that is reliable and easy to get parts for if broken down.
What are some trucks that would fit this description? both diesel and unleaded gasoline.

GKDSoldier 01-03-2010 12:41 PM

arounf where i am from good diesel is a good ol dodge u better of with 3/4 one tones are to light in the back but get a 3/4 ton an throw a round bale in the back of it an they are damn good an parts are very plentiful for the 2gen for gas get around a 1998 2003 chevy sivlerado they are awsome trucks with gobs of aftermarket parts

GMCSierraFan 01-03-2010 03:54 PM

I'm not sure that I completely understand the response above... maybe editing is in order.

Anyways, just about every truck out there will accomplish what you are looking to do. In order to start narrowing them down you'll need to name a price range, year range, and how many creature comforts you would like. Sorry I can't help further, but they'll all do whatever you want... except Dodge, they'll just blow a transmission.

arbongard 01-03-2010 07:29 PM

I like the look of the 06 ford F-150's personally. Something that has a nice interior look would be nice! i would have to say year range doesn't matter but i would like something with a new age look on the interior. Price range i would have to say 15k with the mods I want!

GMCSierraFan 01-03-2010 08:15 PM

I would stick with something that can do what you want, maybe it's just bias, but as far as I'm concerned, F150s are worthless and you won't be able to lift them up and keep it looking decent.

I would suggest an early 2000's GMC or Chevy 2500 with a 6.0 gasser. It doesn't sound like you are too concerned about fuel economy and the 6liter combined with the right gearing can turn any size tire and still have power to spare. You should be able to find a decent extended cab in that price range... If you wanted to go a littlle higher in price... the 6.6liter duramax option is always a great thing what with 365horses, 686lb ft of torque and anywhere from 17-24mpg. The 6liter will get you only 10-13mpg

arbongard 01-04-2010 12:33 AM

Ok thanks for the help when i meant looks i meant interior wise. I should have specified that. I like the look of any truck lifter with some off road bumpers I think they look pimp.
What model are good for the duramax I was really looking into a diesel trucks!

Adawg13 01-28-2010 06:19 AM

Ram

I would go with a dodge ram 2500 or 3500 it has a lot of towing capacity and the parts are easy to find.

fordmaster 02-20-2010 12:18 PM

you dont want a diesel in minnesota unless you want to plug it in and waste more money, i live in duluth and used to have a diesel but the fuel froze in my engine and the truck was ruined, so go for a gas. but anyways i think deoending on your price range the early super duty's are good and the mid 90's f150's are amazing with lift kits in minnesotan winters.

this is mine:
http://image.truckinweb.com/f/BigBad...0-pickup-1.jpg

duckhunt 03-06-2010 12:53 AM

Stick with a Chevy!

Worf 03-08-2010 01:58 AM

Welcome to the site. The truck you get should be based on your own personal taste. I have a f150 and I love it best truck I have ever owned.