Nissan Frontier Discuss the Nissan Frontier here

New to the Frontier Trucks, Curious

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Beginner
Default New to the Frontier Trucks, Curious

Okay, I couldn't find a Looking to Buy sub-forum so please correct me if this is wrong. It is a vs/or in me choosing a new truck.

Everything I have read says go frontier over tacoma, power, cheaper, more features, etc. But I have three main questions...

From recent years up until now, and continuing forward (2012-current), how are the trucks (tacoma and frontier) for reliability and longevity? Does one take the cake? All vehicles have their supposed weak spots, my buick century has the upper intake manifold gasket problem (factory plastic).

Aftermarket (is one more readily available to modify than the other?)

Off road and towing (I do very little towing, and at most it would be a four wheeler, if that even, but I do enjoy off roading, (not mud, more like trail riding, dirt, and very LIGHT mud)

Sorry again if this is wrong forum, and this is my first post, so HI to all.

TL;DR...

I'm buying a new truck in the next year. Either brand new or pre-owned very low mileage, Frontier VS Tacoma. I have read that frontier wins, but I want words and advice from owners.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:48 PM
Beginner

Well, when a vehicle is created from first year model it is inherently going to have flaws, those flaws are usually addressed over the generation run.
for example, the Chevy Silverado in the mid 2010s and around there almost all had a huge problem with water getting into the left front fog light, thus burning it out ever time.
or the first gen Titan in 2005 had rear end issues. Over time they address this issue, and if a generation of the vehicle remains in production eventually they usually address nearly all the major flaws.
So look at it this way the current generation Frontier had been in production since October of 2004. So you tell me if the major kinks have been worked out, I would say yes.
That is not to say you can't get a lemon from time to time.

I would say it is tried and tested.
As far a the Taco, well Toyota makes a very good vehicle, but I can't really speak from expierence with one, as Toyota is the only major manufacturer I have never owned, but as a retired auto mechanic (not a shade tree mechanic)
I think they are very well built.