Off Topic A place for you truck junkies to boldly post off topic.

Income tax!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:19 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Income tax! WooHoo!

Okay Steve, I took these naked camshaft pics just for you! LOL! Okay, yeah that doesn't sound right at all........ Anyways, The head looks like it's in a body bag with a toe tag and everything. It even smelt like something dead when I opened the bag up. I don't know what they cleaned it with but I'm starting to wish they hadn't. My first bright idea was to take the head into my bedroom and put it on my desk to take pics in there so that's where I first opened it up....... almost immediately I picked it back up and ran outside with it.[&:] Looks good though.

Name:  car008.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  55.6 KB
Name:  car006.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  65.6 KB
Name:  car002.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  49.1 KB

Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 AM

Dual overhead cams I love them!! Did they torque the cams down for you. When I did the heads and pistons on the Saturn I put a fine coat of plat doh over the top of the piston to make sure everything cleared. Not saying that you have to I had all new everything and ported-polished.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:25 AM
TruckForum Addict

No they didn't torque them down.[:@] I started to get bent in the machine shop but I just blew it off. They said they had to have the cam sprockets on so that the cams are positioned at what would be TDC to torque them down. I don't see why but okay. I'm kinda worried at this point that I'm gonna screw something up. I have had the head back since Wednesday and I haven't even opened the engine bay up once. I guess I'll have to just spend some hours in the toyota repair manual and make sure I do everything right. Also debating whether or not I'm gonna use ARP head bolts/studs. They are so expensive I just don't know whether or not I can justify the cost. Ofcourse I haven't priced OEM bolts yet so they may not be much worse.

I'm also not sure what would be the best/safest way to clean the block surface good. The machine shop said not to use any sand paper because if I got any metal particles in the cylinders it would cause problems. They said just to use a scraper but everyone else online has said it's gotta be perfect or you'll have another BHG.......[&:]

Old 04-26-2008, 03:37 PM

Try and use a plastic scraper that shouldnt dig into anything. Was the gasket blown or leaky? APR's would be the way to go if you are going to keep it if not then use whatever is cheapest.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:28 PM
TruckForum Addict

Just not sure whether or not I'm gonna keep it yet. Will probably go with the ARPs.... I just don't want to.[:'(]

A plastic scraper aye? I work in a parts store and the only thing I can think of with that description is a bondo spreader. I was thinking more like a razor scraper but not sure if that would be too harsh. What would you use to clean the pistons with? And what would you use to lubricate the cylinder walls and cams before sealing it all back up?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:10 AM

You can also find a scraper at a hardware store. You should have some kind of assembly lube were you work. The stuff I used is red or kind of pink like trans fluid. Cant remember what the name is. Damn if I was at home id go see. Ive never cleaned pistons but seafoam might work. That and some brake clean. But you might want to take of the oil pan so it will drain out. And I think Argon said dish soap cleans carbon build up.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by 72charger
LOL! I was just messin with ya'll. I know hardly anyone reads the Off Topic section anymore.

Basically it has a blown head gasket so I'm in the middle of tearing the head off. Should have that knocked out sometime Tuesday or Wednesday I think, depending on whether or not it quits raining. Once I get it off, it's off to the machine shop to get cleaned, checked for cracks, resurfaced, and whatever else it is they do. I also gotta buy a Head Gasket set, ARP head bolts, and possibly a Cometic metal head gasket(they were highly recommended by a well versed friend). Hopefully as long as the machine shop doesn't take too long, I can have this done by the end of the month-ish.
how long has the head been blown? coolant can wreck the block in short order. most bad head gaskets, are not the problem, they are a symptom of a bigger problem of bad hoses, bad water pump, running water 365 days a year for coolant? anything that can cause an overheat.

Last edited by crazydrive; 04-30-2010 at 04:15 AM.