Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Report Concerns, Make Suggestions, & Get Help Using The Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/report-concerns-make-suggestions-get-help-using-forum-43/)
-   -   97 chevy z71 brickwall (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/report-concerns-make-suggestions-get-help-using-forum-43/97-chevy-z71-brickwall-14374/)

97zsilvy 08-08-2010 08:38 PM

97 chevy z71 brickwall

Hey guys,

Got an issue with my ride and am at a standstill. First started with a check engine light which indicates a miss in cyl 3 and 4. Changed out dist cap, rotor, wires, and plugs and still had the light and symptoms of miss/high(1000+ rpm consistently) idle. Seems like a slight miss can be heard from the exhaust as the vehicle is running (no blue or smoky exhaust but leaves a nasty carbon build-up on my trash can) and vehicle stalls when oil cap is removed. After ~200 miles, I checked the plugs again and 3 and 4 were fouled pretty bad with an ashy build-up and possible slight oil contamination. Almost all plugs had slight oil on threads but not noticed on firing mech. and not fouled(except 3 and 4). New fuel pump, o2 sensor, PCV with no improvements.

Possible related symptom of small radiator leak/crack(unsure) which i attempted to fix with a J&B liquid stop leak. Radiator began purging the coolant system through overflow tank until i flushed the tank drain to radiator and it seemed to have slowed the purging. I believe the stop leak settled in the overflow tank and radiator was unable to retrieve coolant from tank.

Any advice on what the culprit is will be greatly appreciated. Next step is compression test...wish me luck.

auto123 10-30-2010 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by 97zsilvy (Post 59103)
Hey guys,

Got an issue with my ride and am at a standstill. First started with a check engine light which indicates a miss in cyl 3 and 4. Changed out dist cap, rotor, wires, and plugs and still had the light and symptoms of miss/high(1000+ rpm consistently) idle. Seems like a slight miss can be heard from the exhaust as the vehicle is running (no blue or smoky exhaust but leaves a nasty carbon build-up on my trash can) and vehicle stalls when oil cap is removed. After ~200 miles, I checked the plugs again and 3 and 4 were fouled pretty bad with an ashy build-up and possible slight oil contamination. Almost all plugs had slight oil on threads but not noticed on firing mech. and not fouled(except 3 and 4). New fuel pump, o2 sensor, PCV with no improvements.

Possible related symptom of small radiator leak/crack(unsure) which i attempted to fix with a J&B liquid stop leak. Radiator began purging the coolant system through overflow tank until i flushed the tank drain to radiator and it seemed to have slowed the purging. I believe the stop leak settled in the overflow tank and radiator was unable to retrieve coolant from tank.

Any advice on what the culprit is will be greatly appreciated. Next step is compression test...wish me luck.

. i think there are two ways in compression test.. manually with a compression gauge, or electronically with an engine analyzer.. You can go for manual compression test..it will be helpful to judge your vehicle...

Mr_Shamrock 10-30-2010 08:24 AM

If the truck hasn't already had them changed I would change the intake gaskets. They are famous for failing. While the intake is off I would inspect the spider injector in there for cracks or brittle lines. Good luck!