Report Concerns, Make Suggestions, & Get Help Using The Forum A.K.A. Feedback Section Have questions, comments, or concerns about the website, post them here! NO TECH POSTS

Preventing Rip Offs and Scams

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Administrator
Default Preventing Rip Offs and Scams

Just to avoid any Scams or Rip Offs... Is it possible to change the settings to The Classified forum to only permit user with 30 posts or better permission to create a thread.

I know it's difficult to enforce but it would be good if all new members introduce themselves.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

The best way to avoid rip-off's and scams is good ole common sense. Don't send money to someone that cannot be verified by an address and phone number, ask to have additional pictures e-mailed to you (most scammers copy and paste other people's pics and won't be able to provide additional ones), don't use western union (the #1 source of scammers funding), and if you feel uncomfortable at all don't buy the item. Ideally deal locally and that way you are face to face with the seller. I buy and sell A LOT through the web and to me it is real comical the stories these people use to try to get you to send money. None of them will allow you to personally check the product before hand so always ask - even if your not in the area tell them you have a friend or family member near them that will check it. They will almost always say it is packed away at a shippers warehouse just waiting to be sent out - Huge Flag! Also don't fall for the "I am down on my luck and had to move, but the item is located somewhere else and I need it gone". Noone leaves valuables behind if they are down on their luck - trust me! Also you can come straight out and ask them to prove to you they are not a scammer.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Administrator

I agree with Shamrock. Unfortunately, in regards to the first post, there is no way to do that with the current software we are running, but we are upgrading soon and I might be able to put that in place then

Old 04-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Thanks Shamrock I live by a lot of the advice you posted there.. Very good advice. And I hope ALL the members see it. Many of them may already know much of it and some of it maybe new to them.

There is 2 reasons why I'd like to see this restriction (A minimum post requirement to post in Classified Thread)
#1 Members can get to know the type of person this sell is.
#2 One time visit members

We can't stop members posting one thread to solve their truck problem and never returning. But we maybe able to restrict them from grab cash and run.

I forget my first impressions of the forum when I first joined.
I would like to know from the new members why they are NOT posting an Introduction.
Would a New member survey show that the New Member Thread is hard to find in the forum.
Just thinking out loud here.