Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Silverado/Sierra FAQs (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/silverado-sierra-faqs-75/)
-   -   Cheap Body Mod List (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/silverado-sierra-faqs-75/cheap-body-mod-list-6038/)

jcbst12 01-31-2008 09:30 AM

Cheap Body Mod List

You asked and I supplied!

Here are just a few ideas on how to modify your vehicles appearance without spending alot of cash. Please feel free to add ideas and comments!

1. By MrLM7: Shave the antenna. Figured this out when I was bored. Pop your hood and pop off the little blackplastic cowlpiece that goes around your antenna. There are two clips in the rear, and one in the front. Next, remove the three bolts that secure your antenna to the base. Remove your antenna from the base and unscrew your antenna from the connection. Finesse your connection around the hoodhinge and re tighten your antenna and lay it down along the top of the fender. 99-02's can actually put the antenna through the rubber snubber and hide it under the hood seal... Just snap the black plastic piece back on and bingo. I've heard you can order a cowl piece off ofan Escalade that does not havean antenna hole initfor like $10...

2. By jcbst12: Painting your grill bow tie. Reach behind the grill and you'll feel two tabs on the left and right corners of the emblem. Push them apart and push out at the same time. jaxspellinar: "On the painted Bowtie, my '04 has two self tapping 'nuts' that hold the emblem on, they don't just pop off, you have to use a 10mm (I think) to twist them off." Once the emblem is out sand it down until it is completely dull. Now you can do this two different ways:
A. Spray it with a few coats of etching primer, let it set over night and then coat it with any color trim paint. (The primer prevents chipping moreso than using just paint). Let that sit for a few hours after coating a few times. Then use clear coat to top it off. This process will take a day or two before you can put ity back on your truck but its damn near bullet proof. Only applying one coat of clear will keep the color close to your factory paint. I did three and it looks a little lighter blue than my truck.
B. Less costly method would be the same technique but using automotive interior paint or trim paint without the etching primer. Clear coat is optional as some trim paints are glossy enough. (Interior trim paint usually isn't glossy). You could even use Krylon but matching the color to your truck will be difficult.

3. By jcbst12: Painting your mirror backing plates. (The chrome part of the plastic GM mirrors) My mirrors were faded to the point that they actually looked white. So I took the liberty of painting them much like my emblem. Make sure it won't rain for awhile or just do it in a garage! I masked the mirrors off, covered all but the plates with newspaper and throw a drop cloth over both sides of the truck. Cover everything within a three foot radius so you don't get overspray! Stick the masking tape to the black parts only, not the chrome. Spray it with a few coats of etching primer, let it set for a few hours and then coat it with any color trim paint. (The primer prevents chipping moreso than using just paint). You need something that won't chip on your mirrors, trust me. Let that sit for a few hours after coating a few times. Then use clear coat to top it off. This process will take a day or two to do it right. If you start early enough you can do it in a day. Splitting it up into two days won't hurt either. Only applying one coat of clear will keep the color close to your factory paint. I did three and it looks a little lighter blue than my truck. To finish the mirrors off and get them looking like your shiny truck paint, let them set for a few days and then lightly buff them out. This will make them shine real nice!

Here you can see the mirror and emblem painted to match the truck:
[IMG]lo

popo 01-31-2008 09:51 AM

RE: Cheap Body Mod List

not bad!

72charger 01-31-2008 09:54 AM

Dude, I hope you were kidding about all the LED lights. If not, I don't ever wanna here youknock ricers.

jcbst12 01-31-2008 10:27 AM

First of all not knocking ricers. The damn Optix package the lights come in has a freakin Acura on the font with a giant wing, hence ricer lights. Matter of fact every other product has the same. Second, LED side marker RUNNING LIGHTS aren't popular with the import tuner crowd, they are with the 4x4 truck crowd especially diesel guys. Rigs even use these set ups now with the LEDs in tubes (pre-made of course). Last I checked Peterbuilts weren't imports or tuner cars. Third, lights on the mirrors (like signal mirrors) and as door lighting was on SUVs first not tuner cars.

jaxspellinar 01-31-2008 11:12 AM

Nice write up, thanks.

On the painted Bowtie, my '04 has two self tapping 'nuts' that hold the emblem on, they don't just pop off, you have to use a 10mm (I think) to twist them off. FWIW

jcbst12 01-31-2008 11:16 AM

jaxspellinar: Ok, I added your comment. Thanks.

Anyone one have anything else to add?

jpgoodnu 01-31-2008 12:30 PM

As far as the Fog lights go,anyone know which aftermarket ones fit the 2002 Bumper openings well and(dare I pray) can bolt up properly? I think Napa still has GM weatherpac connector kits, so maybe not have to cut the factory harness,just put the right weatherpac on the foglights wires.

popo 01-31-2008 09:25 PM

my nuts are also self tapping but it gets a little annoying after a while!

you can add this one:

to clean up yor tail gate take some dish soap and coat the tail gate. then usea flat razor blade and gently scrape the chevrolet sticker off of the back. then buy a used chevy symbol and stick it to the tail gate. it's simple enough and makes it look really good imho!

popo 01-31-2008 09:26 PM

here is a pic of what i'm talking about. nice and clean!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3244/AC0BE1CF0B33475BBB8CD45A82671654.jpg[/IMG]

Folgers 01-31-2008 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: popo

here is a pic of what i'm talking about. nice and clean!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3244/AC0BE1CF0B33475BBB8CD45A82671654.jpg[/IMG]
That's actually not a bad idea, it makes the Classic 00-07 models look like the newer Silverado models, but my only complaint is with your situation is, it is just so small it looks unnatural.

Still a good look and idea though, I'm not knocking it one bit.