Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Silverado/Sierra FAQs (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/silverado-sierra-faqs-75/)
-   -   cold air intake (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/silverado-sierra-faqs-75/cold-air-intake-17093/)

walleyejack 07-18-2011 04:00 PM

cold air intake

am looking for a cold air intake system for my 2010 Silverado,5.3 any ideas on a good one,

Thanks al

UH60HAWK 11-27-2011 01:29 PM

Cai

I to am looking for a CAI for my 2010 6.2L. In my research i am finding that Volant is the way to go. Volant is the only CAI that has performed document R&D on Chevy truck engines. Not that this makes it the best but atleast somebody is doing there homework before throwing MODS after an engine. I have not installed one yet so i am merely describing the research i have done. I will purchase a Volant when i do go with a CAI. Good luck.

02Z71CP 01-19-2012 03:09 AM

hey guys a while back i bolted on a CAI myself was going to go with a K&N but i went with the next best thing. I got the Spectre intake from autozone it was like 140 bucks not too bad and i have it on a 5.3. Over all i ended up gaining around 12hp 13tq and 2.2mpg if you ask me its a good buy... Hope this helps

SweeperForce 04-01-2012 07:59 PM

I have the same one on my 2004 5.3l. Works flawlessly plus you got to love that intake sound.

cycleman 04-13-2012 11:32 AM

Cai

After reading posts I figured I would look into CAI. I have a 2010 Silverado K-1500. I thought $140 not bad BUT when I looked for my engine 5.3L SFI Spectre has price of about $420. Quite a difference. Guess engines have changed a lot in last couple of years.

Ice_at_heart 04-13-2012 12:37 PM

Piece your own together from a local autoparts store. They should be able to order the tubing and couplers.

If not find a metals depo and they should have aluminum in different shapes and sizes, you can order silicon couplers online cheap.

rmck490 04-13-2012 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by SweeperForce (Post 75559)
I have the same one on my 2004 5.3l. Works flawlessly plus you got to love that intake sound.

I read that the CAI doesn't do much for power gains, but I'll agree that the sound difference is awesome. You don't need to buy an after-market package; K&N, Spectre, or Volant; to gain anything. You can piece the system together like Ice_at_heart suggests. Removing the stock tubing and the stock filter system are the key.

Some posters suggest keeping the stock filter box and using the filter of individual choice. Remove the stock baffling system and replace it with a direct intake tubing system. Depending on the stock configuration, sensor locations may come in to play. You will need to take this in to consideration when creating you custom CAI system.

Ice_at_heart 04-16-2012 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 02Z71CP (Post 74174)
hey guys a while back i bolted on a CAI myself was going to go with a K&N but i went with the next best thing. I got the Spectre intake from autozone it was like 140 bucks not too bad and i have it on a 5.3. Over all i ended up gaining around 12hp 13tq and 2.2mpg if you ask me its a good buy... Hope this helps

Highly doubtful, do you have a before/after dyno sheet?

cycleman 10-29-2012 03:28 AM

cold air intake and engine light

I put on the cold air intake from Spectre. Drove a couple hundred miles and the engine light came on. Took it to garage and he sprayed cleaner on the air intake sensor. Now driven it another couple hundred miles and the engine light came on again. Is this a problem when you put on a CAI?