Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Silverado/Sierra FAQs (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/silverado-sierra-faqs-75/)
-   -   Smoking your lights!!! (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/silverado-sierra-faqs-75/smoking-your-lights-6953/)

rxsteven 04-17-2008 08:41 PM

Smoking your lights!!!

8 Attachment(s)
Ok here it is: how to smoke your lights.

What you need:
VHT Night Shades sold by Summit racing
Steel wool I got a 3 pack that had 3 different levels of roughness
Clear coat
Micro fiber towel

This is how I did it. Im not saying it cant be done better If you find a better way then let me or 72Charger know and we'll get it on this post.

#1. Remove light and clean it well.
#2. Scuff the light until it looks cloudy
#3. Wipe clean with micro fiber towel
#4. Use very very light coats of the VHT I use 2 coats on my tail lights 1 coat on my head lights and 2 on my running lights. (Make sure to follow directions on the can) Do both lights next to each other so you can get the same amount of darkness on each one. I waited about an hour between coats. First coat was just enough to see a little change of color. Scuff the lights after every coat dries. When you get it to were you want it then let it dry for a couple of hours.
#5. Clear coat: Get the best you can find its what will make these thing last. Scuff the lights before each coat. Use it pretty much the same way as the paint. But I went heavier then I did with the paint. What I did was all my running early so I new I wouldn't need the truck. Got some beer and took my time. DON'T LET THEM DRY IN DIRECT SUN LIGHT!!!! They might crack. Also you might want to start with your third brake light so you can get a feel for things. I did and I was glad because I went to dark. If you do go to dark you might be able to wet sand it down.

Ok here are some pictures there not the best but ill get better and post them.

The one on the left has 1 coat and the one on the right has none.
Attachment 3193
The headlights I went with 1 coat
Attachment 3194

Here is the 3rd brake light that I went to dark with

Attachment 3195
Attachment 3196

Attachment 3197
Yes thats a big scratch im working on fixing it with all the rest!!
Attachment 3198
Attachment 3199

You cant see the headlight to well in the sun light but believe me it looks bad ass!!!

Attachment 3200

D.engem 11-19-2009 10:59 PM

Smoking your lights

I smoke and i dont do it around my babies..since they have their own rooms i go outside of their rooms and wash my hands very well after im done smoking... i wouldnt want to hurt them..and yes i need to quit..

Travis West 09-08-2010 03:54 PM

thinks man that was helpful how much does all that cost? and arent u also on that rx7 forum?

Scartissue999 09-09-2010 11:34 AM

Nice walkthrough, im going to try to do it again

I attempted to smoke my lights a couple months ago. When i let them dry before i did a clear coat i realized that one was WAY to dark and the other one had drips. its not a process you can rush through like i did. i tried to sand it all off which didnt work. I ended up having to take acetone and scrub the black off my tail lights. And if anyone knows what acetone does to plastic they can imagine how they look now. All streaked, fogged, and smeared.

Moral of the story: If your going to smoke your lights, do NOT rush it. Take your time. And it helps to do it during the day so you can see how dark the coats are

02Z71CP 01-19-2012 03:16 AM

I smoked my front marker lights and tail light never thought about the head lights lol... One the front and rear i did 4 coats what an amazing bad ass look it gave my black silverado the front lights are now a glowing red the cops in town dont like it much but they let me get by with it.

Elvisdogbreath 04-14-2012 12:31 AM

VHT is crap.Do not follow the directions on the can. Cost me new tail lights