Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Silverado/Sierra FAQs (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/silverado-sierra-faqs-75/)
-   -   Used truck (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/silverado-sierra-faqs-75/used-truck-19669/)

TheGambler 05-10-2013 09:04 PM

Used truck

I'm looking to update and get a used 04-05 Silverado/Sierra and was wondering if there were any problems I should look for in those specific years or any suggestions at all. I will most likely get it from a dealership because I want to trade my old ride in.

What I want is the 5.3 and locking 3.42.

oh and does anyone know the technical term for the package with the double mirrors on the 1500 I thought it was a MAX TOW Package but I can't find any used ones so I wonder if there was a different term for it.

I don't want to spend more that 12,000 with trade in

GM Customer Service 05-11-2013 03:16 PM

Hey, TheGambler!
I can help you out with some of your questions, do you have a year and model you are leaning towards more? If you could narrow it down, I can help you with the technical terms/specs of the double mirror packages. If you already have a specific vehicle you are looking at, and can provide the VIN we can look into what components came stock on the vehicle for you.

Marissa
GM Customer Care

TheGambler 05-31-2013 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
what all is in the z71 off road package, where can you get different rear end gears, what gear ratios can you get. Is it locking re-ends. how many speed tranny do they have. what is the name of the package where you get theses on a half ton
Attachment 1795

In2Trux 06-04-2013 10:38 PM

Those are just typical Chev GMC towing mirror. The mirrors on my truck are standard touring mirrors

My truck has the G80 rear axle and automatically lock while in 2wd if one wheel spins OR it will manually lock as soon as I switch into 4wd

TheGambler 06-05-2013 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by In2Trux (Post 80485)
Those are just typical Chev GMC towing mirror. The mirrors on my truck are standard touring mirrors

My truck has the G80 rear axle and automatically lock while in 2wd if one wheel spins OR it will manually lock as soon as I switch into 4wd

well yours is a 2500 hd and a lot of 2500hd come with those mirrors but on the 1/2tons its usually comes with a special towing package that also comes with other thing that makes it towable. Ford F150 has a max trailer package which comes with these mirrors 3.73 gears, bigger radiator and bigger tranny cooler but I want to know what the same package is for the chevy 1500.

I would like to swap out locking 3.42 gears for either 3.73 or preferably 4.10 but is it worth the hassle. If it came with a 6 speed tranny now but with a 4 speed its almost a necessity (in my opinion) if you want to tow something rely heavy. 3500lb tractor on a 7000lb trailer.

In2Trux 06-06-2013 07:58 AM

Yes mine is the 2500HD but I didn't get the towing mirror.
I have the regular, smaller touring mirrors
But I do have the towing package, Brake controler under my dash.
Trailer harness plug at the back bumper, and HD recevr hitch. I'm not a fan of those bigger mirrors. I find they vibrate too much

TheGambler 06-06-2013 10:29 PM

I like them you can see more but everyone has there preferences

In2Trux 06-08-2013 08:18 PM

EXACTLY (personal preference) That same thing goes for a truck. It's your personal preference.
All the big three have their good and bad points. You have to weigh the pros and cons of each Ford Dodge and Chev decide which truck best suites your needs and budget