Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

09 Silverado Front Disc Brake Question/Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Beginner
Default 09 Silverado Front Disc Brake Question/Issue

I recently swapped out my front brake pads and rotors on my 2009 Silverado Crew Cab. After re-assembling everything again today to double check making certain nothing is loose or bolted in place incorrectly I am curious as to what could cause my issue.

Issue: When using brakes at speeds above 60 mph the brake pedal has vibration feed back. At lower speed it doesn't.

- I have good brake pressure, it doesn't hesitate to stop.
- There are no noticeable noises
- I made sure all the bolts to the caliper, and the assembly as well as the retaining screw that holds the rotor to the hub are secure with plenty of pressure.
- During driving with no braking applied, truck drives smooth and straight at any speed.
- At lower speeds there is no noticeable skipping of the pads across the rotor as I apply pressure.

So I am wondering what would cause the brakes to vibrate at a high speed when being applied to come to a stop. Feels like it's in the left front to me.

- Could there be air in the brake lines that would cause it? I didn't replace the calipers. So I cant see how that would happen.

- Could I have received a bad rotor that wasn't machined correctly and I didn't notice it?

Could it be a bad strut? The truck has 67k miles on it and I haven't replaced the front struts yet.

Before I take it to the mechanic I just want to know what I could possibly be looking at? Or if there is anything else I can do before it has to head to a professional.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:21 PM

Rust on hub flange? Was hub surface cleaned? Rotor stored on its side at parts store? Bad rotor runout (warped)?

Old 07-20-2014, 04:51 PM

If it didn't do it before the brake job, I would suspect the rotor. Good luck with it.