Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2002 Silverado ABS light and Parking Brake Indicator stay on

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Default 2002 Silverado ABS light and Parking Brake Indicator stay on

I have a 2002 Silverado and the parking brake indicator and ABS light stay on after I start the truck. It doesn't happen every time only when the truck is hot and I have not felt any problems with the actually brakes. I read some posts that the wheel hub assembly has something to do with it. The manual says there is something wrong and take it to the dealership but rather not.

I think this might be pretty common. Any suggestions to my problem?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I had the same thing on a 2001 GMC and it was the ABS sensor on the wheel hub that was bad. The whole hub had to be changed back then, I am not sure if the sensor is available separate now or not. I lived with it for over a year until the bearing in the hub started making noise and then replaced it and there was no more light on. Mine would come on every once in a while (before I changed the hub) and seemed to come on more when it was or had been raining and there was water on the ground. You can try cleaning the sensor and the hub ring to see if that helps. I would probably use some electrical contact cleaner. It's worth a shot.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:56 AM

need to hook up a scanner and see if the scanner is able to tell you why the abs light is on... i am lucky enough to have access to MODIS and that thing is cool, it tells you everything!!! lets just say you have access to one it might tell you RF sensor imput low then to double check that it's the actual sensor that is bad get a ohm meter and disconnect the sensor and contact the two pins and spin the hub if there is no reading then the sensor is bad and needs to be replaced. as much as you thing it's a pain in the butt to replace a $250 ac delco hub just remember that when you change your brakes and dont have to take out bearings and re pack them. it's super easy, and get the delco one, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Worf; 05-25-2010 at 02:31 AM. Reason: removed profanity from post
Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 02camarossle
need to hook up a scanner and see if the scanner is able to tell you why the abs light is on... i am lucky enough to have access to MODIS and that thing is cool, it tells you everything!!! lets just say you have access to one it might tell you RF sensor imput low then to double check that it's the actual sensor that is bad get a ohm meter and disconnect the sensor and contact the two pins and spin the hub if there is no reading then the sensor is bad and needs to be replaced. as much as you thing it's a pain in the butt to replace a $250 ac delco hub just remember that when you change your brakes and dont have to take out bearings and re pack them. it's super easy, and get the delco one, you get what you pay for.
I agree 100% - it makes brake jobs a no mess simple task. Actually swapping the hubs wasn't all that bad either. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:38 PM

yeah replacing the hub takes about 15-20 min depending on how long it takes you to jack up the truck and put a jack stand up under it... lol i was referring to a pain in the butt cause if the sensor is bad you have to replace the whole hub but i'd rather do that then pack any more bearings.