Go Back   Truck Forums > Chevrolet/GMC Truck Forums > Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 AM
Beginner

Default Back brakes locked up

Well to begin with i knew my brakes were low when I took the drive to SC to FL.. Well when I got to Fl it was metal to metal on the back driver side so I replace both sides of the back brakes and rotors. Well after doing all this and bleeding the brakes i felt like the truck was dragging in the rear and kept smelling brakes.So I figured one of the calipers were locked up so I changed both sides and bled them of course. Now the back brakes are still locked up and doesn't want to even move from the drive way. The only other things I can think is the master cylinder or a hose is backed up... Any feed back with be much appreciated. Thanks guys
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Truckforums!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:18 AM
Beginner

BTW its a 2000 GMC 1500 Z71
Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Administrator

SHAME SHAME Shame on you.. Taking your truck on a road trip knowing your brake weren't up to the trip. Then driving your poor truck with metal on metal.
I sentence thee to 2 weeks of brake problems and expensive repairs

WELCOME to Truck Forums.

Your locking back brakes could be a number of problems.
-but i think your rear calipers either need to be rebuilt or replaced

Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Once you jack it up and get the wheels off, you will be better able to see what is hanging up. If it looks like a caliper piston is not backing off, you can crack the bleeder and see if that helps. If it does, since you have already replaced the calipers, it could be a bad hose. You also need to make sure the pads are able to move freely on the guides and make sure the emergency brake is adjusted OK.

How does the fluid in the master cylinder look? Especially since things have probably been pretty hot from the metal-to-metal contact, it might be a good idea to flush your brake fluid.

Gerald
Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 PM

did you replace the rotors?

your inner drums might be grabbing if you didnt adjust them
4 inch straight pipe turbo back

My silverado may be gone but it will always be my truck no matter who is behind the wheel
Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 PM
TruckForum Addict

So assuming you have rear disk brakes, the road trip with metal on metal probably melted the piston cup seal inside your caliper.

I say jack up the rear, pull the rear wheels off a just look at the rear brakes. Look for a gap between the rotor and the pads. Pump the brakes, and then go look again. There should be a gap. If there isn't, I think that you have an issue with the piston cup seal and you need to replace your rotor. Don't bother rebuilding them. Rotors are cheap, and guaranteed.

Bleed the system when you're done.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:51 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the info but iv already replace rotors and clalipers(both sides) so i dont think thats the problem is. How can you check if a hose is bad or not cause thats about the only thing I can think that could go wrong that hasnt been replaced.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Well if everything is new... Do like glterpening (gerald) said. Jack up your truck and take the wheels off. If the brakes are dragging now. Release the breeder valve to see if the brakes back off.. That is a sign you have a flex line problem on that wheel.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 AM

Tags
09, 2500hd, back, brakes, caliper, calipers, diesel, drag, lock, locked, lockin, locking, rear, silverado, truck