Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Please help me out..Im stuck! (Brakes locked up)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Beginner
Default Please help me out..Im stuck! (Brakes locked up)

Ok guys im stuck.... Well it started out one day while I was driving home I smelled brakes while I was driving and it felt like it was dragging in the back and when I got home I smelled the back brakes and the smelled like they were dragging you know that strong brake smell.. So I figured Maybe a hose or caliper was going out. So I change everything Brakes, calipers, and hoses on both sides. Now here is where the problem starts.. When i try to back out of my driveway it will idle at a roll in reverse down the driveway but you hear some squeaking but as soon as I try to turn to get out my driveway the truck kinda stops it self(both ways over backing out) I uploaded pics and where the stars are is where it spins.. If I give it gas it will move with enough gas but the passenger rear tire starts to break traction and spin a little and leave a nice make in the drive way but the other tire doesn't. Do you think a master cylinder would cause this?I hope is not the rear end because the truck only has 55 000 miles on it and its a 2000... Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attached Thumbnails Please help me out..Im stuck! (Brakes locked up)-img_20120130_174236.jpg   Please help me out..Im stuck! (Brakes locked up)-img_20120130_174250.jpg  
Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Beginner

maybe the emergency brake is broke and couseing the drive side rear tire to lock up? Because it hasent worked since I bought the truck. I believe the adjustment is on the drive side rear tire.. And that seems to be the one that seems to be locking up.. as you can see in the pictures

Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM

When I first saw the title to this thread I thought it was posted in the wrong forum..."help I'm stuck" usually comes from a Dodge owner, LOL!

Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Beginner

Haha had one of thos too but there's no helping there lol j/k

Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well here's my thoughts:

4x4 is engaged causing the wheels to not want to turn due to locking hubs, or in in the case that the truck is in 2wd mode, the rear diff is starting to go.

The issue could be the baster cylinder, but I doubt that it's holding the rear brakes tight while you back out.

Here's what I would check for:

Block the front wheels and jack up the rear end, set on the ground and spin each wheel. If your differential is working correctly, the other wheel should spin in the opposite direction, and both wheels would spin rather effortlessly. If the breaks are dragging, then you will have a hard time spinning the wheels. If that is the case, pull a wheel off and look to see if the pads are rubbing on the disk.

Have you applied the parking break recently? Do you live in the rust belt where such things are a huge "nono" to do? Did you let someone borrow the truck and they applied the parking break? I don't know how the parking break is released on your truck, but if you have a parking break handle to release it, try pulling on it.

Another thing to check is give your parking brake cable a tug and see if it's tight. If it's tight, then the parking breaks are applied and you should try to free up the cable, or cut it. I would recommend trying to free up the cable if this is the case.

Good luck!