Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam and Lifter Problem with my 2008 5.3 GMC

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Beginner
Default Cam and Lifter Problem with my 2008 5.3 GMC

I just joined this forum and apologize for jumping right in but I'm about to be negotiating for some help from the factory to repair a problem the dealer says I now have. It started with warning messages coming up telling me to Service Stabilitrac and Service Traction Control. Then my check engine light stayed on. Every time I idled for more than the time it took for a red light to change these warnings reappeared. So, scheduled appt with dealer. He calls back and says I have a bad lifter and one of the lobes on the cam has been worn down. I have NO IDEA how this problem could have triggered these warnings. However, since I am just barely out of the factory warranty (8 months past the 5 years and only 55,000 miles) I'm going to try to get GM to cover the cost. Have any of you had similar problems and can you speculate on why the warnings I got resulted from this sort of problem? ALL help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lov-n-life
I just joined this forum and apologize for jumping right in but I'm about to be negotiating for some help from the factory to repair a problem the dealer says I now have. It started with warning messages coming up telling me to Service Stabilitrac and Service Traction Control. Then my check engine light stayed on. Every time I idled for more than the time it took for a red light to change these warnings reappeared. So, scheduled appt with dealer. He calls back and says I have a bad lifter and one of the lobes on the cam has been worn down. I have NO IDEA how this problem could have triggered these warnings. However, since I am just barely out of the factory warranty (8 months past the 5 years and only 55,000 miles) I'm going to try to get GM to cover the cost. Have any of you had similar problems and can you speculate on why the warnings I got resulted from this sort of problem? ALL help is appreciated. Thanks!!!
Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a issue with your vehicle. Can we be of any assistance?

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Old 08-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Beginner

Quote: Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a issue with your vehicle. Can we be of any assistance?

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps. My truck is at Nash Chevrolet in Lawrenceville. I found out today that the repair will be $4900. GM is offering to cover all but $1500 of that. I may sound greedy but I would think it should be fully covered since the truck is so near the end of the 5 year warranty and only has 55,000 miles. I have an unblemished record of dealership maintenance and this is the top of the line GMC (SLT; Z71; 4X4; etc.). I have had this truck in for "check engine light" issues 3 times now. For a truck that listed for almost $50K in '08 it has had a lot of issues. Anything you can do to get this covered by GM would be appreciated. If you need my personal contact info please let me know. Thanks, James

Old 08-01-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote: Hello,

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps. My truck is at Nash Chevrolet in Lawrenceville. I found out today that the repair will be $4900. GM is offering to cover all but $1500 of that. I may sound greedy but I would think it should be fully covered since the truck is so near the end of the 5 year warranty and only has 55,000 miles. I have an unblemished record of dealership maintenance and this is the top of the line GMC (SLT; Z71; 4X4; etc.). I have had this truck in for "check engine light" issues 3 times now. For a truck that listed for almost $50K in '08 it has had a lot of issues. Anything you can do to get this covered by GM would be appreciated. If you need my personal contact info please let me know. Thanks, James
James,

I am happy to assist. I cannot guarantee anything but I do want to look into this for you. Could you private message me your contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and your preferred dealership?

Thanks,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Keep us informed James. I'd love to hear how it turns out for you

Old 08-02-2013, 06:08 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
James,

I am happy to assist. I cannot guarantee anything but I do want to look into this for you. Could you private message me your contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and your preferred dealership?

Thanks,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
Hey Jennifer, I can't figure out how to do a private message. Can you send me on to which I can reply?
Thanks,
James

Old 08-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Administrator

At the top left of one of her posts click on Jennifer's user name "GM Customer Service" .
A drop down menu will pop up. Click on "Send private message to GM Customer Service"

Old 08-02-2013, 09:35 AM

Hey Jennifer, I can't figure out how to do a private message. Can you send me on to which I can reply?
Thanks,
James
James,

I am not 100% sure but I believe that you do not have the capability to private message because you are new to the forum. You can email the information that I requested to General Motors Company | Official Global Site | GM.com subject "Attn:Jennifer" and we can go from there.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Old 08-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
James,

I am not 100% sure but I believe that you do not have the capability to private message because you are new to the forum. You can email the information that I requested to General Motors Company | Official Global Site | GM.com subject "Attn:Jennifer" and we can go from there.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
------------------------------------------------------------
Jennifer,
I sent you an email on the GM Website. I could never figure out how to do a PM to you from this forum. When I clicked your name the drop down menu did not give me the option to send a PM. Anyway, I appreciate your help and look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, James

Old 08-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by In2Trux
At the top left of one of her posts click on Jennifer's user name "GM Customer Service" .
A drop down menu will pop up. Click on "Send private message to GM Customer Service"

Thanks In2Trux, I tried that but no PM options came up. I have sent her an email through the GM website. I'm not a high tech guy so I am not always good at figuring out how to negotiate these forums. Thanks

Quick Reply: Cam and Lifter Problem with my 2008 5.3 GMC