Chevy/GMC Small Trucks Forum Discuss the Colorado, Canyon, Sonoma, S-10, etc here!

To buy or not to buy... 2002 S-10 ZR-2...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Default To buy or not to buy... 2002 S-10 ZR-2...

Looking at t 2002 S-10 ZR-2. only 75k on it for miles. Dealer is asking less than half what it retails for. Heck, half the private party value.

Anything I should look for when I go look at it? Or any reason I should avoid this truck?

Old 04-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Get a carfax! If it's that cheap I would have reason to believe it may have been wrecked or stolen...

Otherwise, I'd jump on it

Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

How much is he asking?

Old 04-01-2010, 03:40 PM

2002 Chevy S-10 ZR-2, V6, 75,436 miles, Power Windows, Power Locks, AC, pretty much everything. Pictures look good. KBB says only 5% of cars fall into the excellent category, this one seems to come close.

$4000 is the asking price. Asking for a CarFax. Really don't want to buy one, but I will if they won't provide.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 PM

If it comes back clean and runs well then you have to jump on that deal! Check it very closely...I am in the business and have to wonder why it is so cheap!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
If it comes back clean and runs well then you have to jump on that deal! Check it very closely...I am in the business and have to wonder why it is so cheap!
I have seen amazing deals in private sales before. Usually someone who just wants to get rid of something quick. Usually at a dealership there is some sort of catch.

I called and they said there is no catch. But I am asking for the CarFax anyways, and will buy one if they don't provide.

From the pics, it looks clean to the max. Might need tires soon. Certainly will get some new rims. I like some of the stock rims I have seen, but not these!

Last edited by DefStatic; 04-01-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:36 AM

So otherwise, there are no known issues with these right? Nothing major at least.

I was going to get a Saturn Vue, I like Saturns. But like all Saturns (as it seems) they have a flaw in their transmissions that almost guarantees failure.

So I just want to make sure i am not getting into something that is going to have some obvious problem that would explain why someone would dump this now.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:34 PM

WTF ever. I am done with non-franchise jack in the box dealers. Once again I get burned. I told them I am taking Saturday off to come down. Ok, you can take the truck for a ride. I confirmed again this morning. Yep, the truck will be here. I called and asked if anyone is interested int he truck, nope no one has so far. I told them I was buying a CarFax report for it. I said ti was clean and I would buy the truck pending a test drive and everything was legit.

I just called. It was sold this morning. 3rd time in a row I have been burned. So sick of this. I am just going to buy a brand new car. If I am going to get screwed, at least I will get what I want and not have to worry about it being sold before I can get there.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:40 PM

It is probably a blessing in disguise man. Keep looking although if I was in the market right now I would be considering new. There are A LOT of great deals on new stuff right now. I guess it just depends on your budget. I personally am not an S-10 fan (I know I will get some flack for that) but it's true. Especially the 4WD models. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
It is probably a blessing in disguise man. Keep looking although if I was in the market right now I would be considering new. There are A LOT of great deals on new stuff right now. I guess it just depends on your budget. I personally am not an S-10 fan (I know I will get some flack for that) but it's true. Especially the 4WD models. Good luck in your search.
You are probably right. But the thing looked amazing, and I started counting my chickens before they hatched. I understand that they need to sell to those who come with cash. But this is the third time. First time I told the guy I have cash, but I want to apply for a loan because he coudlnt finance. It was a Friday. He sold it Saturday. He didn't call me and say "Hey, can you put a deposit down or something?" He just sold it.

Second time, truck on eBay. It was a dealer. I knew they financed. I told them I would not buy it on eBay, so if it didn't sell, I would come see it and most likely buy it. The auction ended 2 hours early, I assumed it was just done. ends up they sold it to someone else offline. they said no reserve in the title, but there was one.

This time I talked to them yesterday. No one has come to see it. I talked to the guy, told him i would be there Saturday morning, that I took the day off. That I am applying for financing with them but I can pay cash. That I was getting a CarFax. They kept saying yes the truck is here and we will see you Saturday morning.

I am close to giving up. I only want to spend $6000 at the most. I don't want a new car, too much money and this is just because I want a truck. I am not even sure why I am looking. I have no need for one and I can't imagine once my Jeep has the custom transmission in it and is back on the road, I will even drive anything else. Guess I am just hopping for a really good deal. Money to burn since quitting smoking I guess.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy... 2002 S-10 ZR-2...